IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stream name, variable, [moved from Support]
l0c4lh0st
post Feb 15 2009, 01:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 60941

Hi!

What is the name of the variable that contains the name of the stream when you're listening to it?

I can find the stream URL (which is in %path%), but I can't find the stream name variable.

The wiki page that lists the variables doesn't say much about it too, in fact, when I ctrl+f with "stream", I don't get any results.

Some documentation or help would be much appreciated. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
l0c4lh0st
post Feb 15 2009, 01:15
Post #2

Found another topic with the same question, from 2004. But no useful answers... http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=0&p=202080
+Quote Post
Tim Schuhmacher
post Feb 17 2009, 21:40
Post #3

Member No.: 53426

I don't know if this answers your question but for every stream I have a .asx file with the following content for example:

CODE

<asx version="3.0">
<entry>
<ref href="http://www.omroep.nl/live/radio3-breed.asx"/>
<title>Radio 3fm</title>
<author>Stream</author>
</entry>
</asx>

When the stream is not playing, the name between the author tags is displayed as the artist in fobar. But when I play the stream. The fields become empty.
+Quote Post
Yotsuya
post Feb 18 2009, 02:32
Post #4

Member No.: 30546

For what it is worth, this thread lists all the tag information I could find for online streams in foobar. If you have more information please add it.

--------------------
http://www.ubuntu.com
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Feb 18 2009, 08:30
Post #5

Member No.: 30694

I'd really like to have access to the stream title, too.

Apparently when you play a SHOUTcast (ICY) stream which has metadata in it, %artist% and %title% are derived from the StreamTitle metadata, which normally contains the current artist and title and sometimes also the name of the station.

It looks like foobar2000 splits the StreamTitle on the first "-", so if it's in a standard "Artist - Title" format and Artist contains a hyphen, then %artist% will be the part before the hyphen and %title% will be everything after, which of course is poo.

I was hoping I could parse the data myself and split on the first " - " (spaces around the dash) via custom title formatting, but I don't see any variables where the raw StreamTitle is exposed. unsure.gif

Also I had no luck using %url% in a custom column; I had to just use %path%.
+Quote Post
l0c4lh0st
post Feb 18 2009, 17:19
Post #6

QUOTE (mjb2006 @ Feb 18 2009, 08:30) *
I'd really like to have access to the stream title, too.

Apparently when you play a SHOUTcast (ICY) stream which has metadata in it, %artist% and %title% are derived from the StreamTitle metadata, which normally contains the current artist and title and sometimes also the name of the station.

It looks like foobar2000 splits the StreamTitle on the first "-", so if it's in a standard "Artist - Title" format and Artist contains a hyphen, then %artist% will be the part before the hyphen and %title% will be everything after, which of course is poo.

I was hoping I could parse the data myself and split on the first " - " (spaces around the dash) via custom title formatting, but I don't see any variables where the raw StreamTitle is exposed. unsure.gif

Also I had no luck using %url% in a custom column; I had to just use %path%.

Hm, here I only get the artist and title in resp. %artist% and %title%.

I never see the the station's name pop up.

Do you have "Enable dynamic track titles (may cause problems with some proxies)" checked in Preferences - Networking?
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Feb 20 2009, 04:47
Post #7

QUOTE (l0c4lh0st @ Feb 18 2009, 09:19) *

Right, same here. I was just saying that the 'StreamTitle' metadata embedded in the actual SHOUTcast stream contains usually only either:

• artist - title, or
  • station - artist - title, or
  • station only

It depends on how the stream source is configured. In any case given any of the above, fb2k seems to parse only the artist and title out of it when those subfields are available.

Do you have "Enable dynamic track titles (may cause problems with some proxies)" checked in Preferences - Networking?

I do. I assume that's the reason it's parsing StreamTitle at all.
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Feb 20 2009, 04:49
Post #8

Right, same here. I was just saying that the 'StreamTitle' metadata embedded in the actual SHOUTcast stream contains usually only either:
  • artist - title, or
  • station - artist - title, or
  • station only

It depends on how the stream source is configured. In any case given any of the above, fb2k seems to parse only the artist and title out of it when those subfields are available.

I do. I assume that's the reason it's parsing StreamTitle at all.
+Quote Post
l0c4lh0st
post Feb 25 2009, 22:24
Post #9

Developers: Will this feature be implemented in a future version of Foobar?

I'd like to have the stream name in the %album%-variable.

Also, I'd like to have a boolean variable %stream% so I can check if the track currently playing is a stream or not.
+Quote Post
Yotsuya
post Feb 26 2009, 10:24
Post #10

Member No.: 30546

QUOTE (l0c4lh0st @ Feb 25 2009, 16:24) *
Also, I'd like to have a boolean variable %stream% so I can check if the track currently playing is a stream or not.

This can be accomplished with:
CODE
$if($strcmp($left(%path%,7),http$char(58)$char(47)$char(47)),IS A STREAM,IS NOT A STREAM)

Similarly, you can test if the currently playing track is on an Audio CD with:
CODE
$if($strcmp($left(%path%,7),cdda$char(58)$char(47)$char(47)),IS A CD,IS NOT A CD)

However, I would like to see more development for online streams. %title% will resolve to the name of the station if the station is not playing or has just begun to play, however it quickly changes to the name of the song as soon as stream information is received. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you can exploit this time window and display the station name with %title% if the data is only refreshed on a per-track bases.

This post has been edited by Yotsuya: Feb 26 2009, 10:25

--------------------
http://www.ubuntu.com
+Quote Post
Nixdagibts
post Oct 22 2009, 08:05
Post #11

Member No.: 73370

Is there now any workaround to display my own custom radio stations name and not the URL in playlists? 

I know the option "enable dynamic track titles". But not all streams work with this option. sadly  sad.gif

This post has been edited by Nixdagibts: Oct 22 2009, 08:14
+Quote Post
Daniel15
post Apr 18 2010, 06:27
Post #12

Member No.: 79952

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I was wondering if any progress was made on this. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add a variable for the raw stream name, as Foobar2000 already has that data (since it gets the artist and title from it). All the radio stations I use send the "now playing" data in the format Artist - Title (Radio station name) so it shouldn't be too hard to get the name from inside the brackets. smile.gif
+Quote Post
kode54
post Apr 18 2010, 06:48
Post #13

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

Actually, they only send Artist - Title. The station name is sent at connect time only.
+Quote Post
Daniel15
post Apr 18 2010, 08:54
Post #14

Member No.: 79952

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of that. Winamp keeps showing the radio station name even when the song changes, so I assumed it was sent in every metadata update.

Well, in any case, Winamp has a variable for it (I believe), and even after receiving the artist and track name in Foobar, the radio station name is still available in the Metadata properties window (right-click -> metadata) as "Track title". Is it possible to pull through that title in a keyword like %original_title%?

Edit: Seems it's sent as a icy-name header. Surely that'd be easy to save tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Daniel15: Apr 18 2010, 09:23
+Quote Post
YippeeKiYay
post Aug 6 2010, 08:17
Post #15

Member No.: 82870

New to foobar, but does anyone know of a component that could parse the stream metadata (dynamic track titles) and make it available? Ideally I'd like to use it with foo_run.

This post has been edited by YippeeKiYay: Aug 6 2010, 08:19
+Quote Post
trout
post Mar 9 2013, 22:02
Post #16

Member No.: 68400

Another request for a "station title" titleformat variable (eg. %stream_title% ?)

It's very frustrating that once playback begins you can no longer display what stream you are listening to.
+Quote Post
Squeller
post Jul 7 2013, 17:40
Post #17

Member No.: 3218

QUOTE (trout @ Mar 9 2013, 23:02) *
Another request for a "station title" titleformat variable (eg. %stream_title% ?)

It's very frustrating that once playback begins you can no longer display what stream you are listening to.

It's still not possible AFAICS?
+Quote Post
musikomaniak
post May 2 2014, 15:57
Post #18

Member No.: 108507

Is there something new ?
I'd like also to have the name of radios in my playlist. Some display a number or "???" or the name is not explicit, like Jazz FM (here are many radios Jazz).
I have tried to use m-TAGS, but unfortunately I do not understand how it works, while reading pages for one hour :-(
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 03:45