IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flac - > iPod - Best practices, Replaygain, gapless, codec?
gerwen
post Nov 25 2008, 19:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 58419

I've talked the wife into getting me an iPod Touch for Christmas. Currently i'm using a Rockbox'd Sansa E280. I've never owned an ipod.

Right now, i use EAC to rip and encode to flac, then Foobar to transcode (lame 3.98.2) to mp3. I've waffled around a bit on what bitrate to use, but i've settled on v5, as it is transparent (or close enough) for me.

I'm not a big fan of itunes, based on playing with it a little since deciding to go apple.

I'd be hard to live without replaygained, and gapless albums. Itunes Soundcheck is not a promising option for me, based on the fact it doesn't have an album gain scan.

I'm looking for opinions on the best workflow and tools used to go from my flac archives to gapless replaygained (album) files of a quality similar to or better than lame -v5, at similar file sizes.

I'm not afraid to transcode my entire collection to aac if it is a superior choice for the task.

How do you do it?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jebus
post Nov 25 2008, 20:54
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 5541

QUOTE (gerwen @ Nov 25 2008, 11:49) *
I've talked the wife into getting me an iPod Touch for Christmas. Currently i'm using a Rockbox'd Sansa E280. I've never owned an ipod.

Right now, i use EAC to rip and encode to flac, then Foobar to transcode (lame 3.98.2) to mp3. I've waffled around a bit on what bitrate to use, but i've settled on v5, as it is transparent (or close enough) for me.

I'm not a big fan of itunes, based on playing with it a little since deciding to go apple.

I'd be hard to live without replaygained, and gapless albums. Itunes Soundcheck is not a promising option for me, based on the fact it doesn't have an album gain scan.

I'm looking for opinions on the best workflow and tools used to go from my flac archives to gapless replaygained (album) files of a quality similar to or better than lame -v5, at similar file sizes.

I'm not afraid to transcode my entire collection to aac if it is a superior choice for the task.

How do you do it?

I wrote OmniEncoder (www.omniencoder.com) specifically for what you're describing. It will batch-convert a library of FLAC files to MP3 WITH replaygain (album or track-based), and with tags preserved.
+Quote Post
gerwen
post Nov 25 2008, 21:30
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 58419

QUOTE (Jebus @ Nov 25 2008, 14:54) *
I wrote OmniEncoder (www.omniencoder.com) specifically for what you're describing. It will batch-convert a library of FLAC files to MP3 WITH replaygain (album or track-based), and with tags preserved.

Interesting. Is it capable of writing soundcheck tags for ipods? If not, consider it a feature request. wink.gif I can point you to the info i found on doing it.
+Quote Post
Jebus
post Nov 25 2008, 23:40
Post #4

Group: Developer
Member No.: 5541

QUOTE (gerwen @ Nov 25 2008, 13:30) *
QUOTE (Jebus @ Nov 25 2008, 14:54) *

Interesting. Is it capable of writing soundcheck tags for ipods? If not, consider it a feature request. wink.gif I can point you to the info i found on doing it.

I'm interested in doing that for the next version, but I should let you know: The Omniencoder 1.x code got lost in a HD malfunction, and version 2.0 is taking forever. Still though, the app as it stands will apply replaygain DIRECTLY to the audio, actually attenuating it during encoding (via lame's --scale parameter). This means you'll have full album replaygain support on an ipod as-is. A side-benefit of this method is that overloud files come out smaller, too smile.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 07:40