IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Is it possible to detect if the source was audio-CD or some lossy form
gandhi
post Oct 3 2008, 17:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5104

I have some CDs that I'm not sure if I burned them from mp3 files or if I made a 1 to 1 CD-copy. Is there a way to find out if the source was mp3 or CD? I have the original CDs as well, ripped to FLAC, for reference.

This post has been edited by gandhi: Oct 3 2008, 18:44
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Goratrix
post Oct 3 2008, 17:42
Post #2

Member No.: 56722

If you also have the original CDs in FLAC and just want to compare the copy to those, then the easiest way is to rip one track from the copy to FLAC (or WAV), open both FLACs in some audio editor and compare the frequency spectrums (there is a tutorial somewhere here on this topic). If the copy was made from mp3, there will be noticable differences in the high frequencies. If the copy was made as a 1:1 image, they will be identical.

This post has been edited by Goratrix: Oct 3 2008, 17:42
+Quote Post
pdq
post Oct 4 2008, 19:27
Post #3

Member No.: 24233

QUOTE (Goratrix @ Oct 3 2008, 12:42) *
If you also have the original CDs in FLAC and just want to compare the copy to those, then the easiest way is to rip one track from the copy to FLAC (or WAV), open both FLACs in some audio editor and compare the frequency spectrums (there is a tutorial somewhere here on this topic). If the copy was made from mp3, there will be noticable differences in the high frequencies. If the copy was made as a 1:1 image, they will be identical.

You don't need to compare the spectra. Just use a bit comparison. Apart from a possible small shift in the data, they should be identical, or not.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 13:04