IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Any comments on my vinyl ripping setup, before I begin?
Cycles
post Apr 27 2008, 15:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53103

Hi,

I know, I know, this topic has been discussed to death many times and I have read past topics by searching... But I was hoping you could give me some final feedback on the equipment that I have, to see if I've missed anything.

The hardware I will be using for ripping: A Technics 1210MK2 TT, with a Ortofon Arkiv OM cartridge & needle. This runs to an M-Audio Conectiv which seems to work very nicely as a preamp. It's USB and appears as another soundcard. I also have a Vestax PCV275, but I've found this seems to colour the sound a lot, so I'm going with the Conectiv for the (presumably) shorter signal path. I've been considering a Project Phono Box, but I'm not sure the benefits outweigh having to invest in something new.

The one thing that would be nice about the Project Phono Box is that I can record using my Delta 192 @ 24bit, while the Conectiv only goes up to 16bit. I've read this would give 'cleaner' results for post-processing.

I have been ripping in Goldwave, but I recently saw a study (http://src.infinitewave.ca/) which seems to show Gold Wave is pretty poor. However, in all honesty, I can't really understand what the graphs or their explanations mean so I'm purely going on the fact that because some graphics look "noisy" it's bad software.

In terms of post processing, I'll be normalizing everything (the Conectiv seems to output to about -2dB) and have been considering some noise removal. However, it may be that some of the noise I'm hearing is due to dirt in the grooves.

I also only have a carbon fiber brush for cleaning, and as the records I'll be ripping are drum & bass records that have been used primarily for djing - they definitley need a wet clean. Could you recommend any solutions? I've read about making my own, but I don't know where I can find the products (triple/steam distilled water & isopropyl alcohol) in the UK.

Look forward to hearing what you have to say. Any other comments greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 16:55