IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
effects of magnets on headphones
sackynut
post Feb 21 2008, 20:48
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 10
Joined: 3-August 07
Member No.: 45876



So we all know putting a magnet up to a computer, electronic device or monitor is harmful in some way, even if miniscule, you can SEE the effects with a monitor.

Well, my brand new Sennheiser Px100's came in the mail today, and about 3 hours after I had been using them, I was listneing to music when a "friend" of mine, came up and slapped a metal object on my right speaker and then put it down. When I saw what it was, it was a magnet.

Im just wondering if magnets have any effects (negative of course) on headphones, or to be more specific, neodymium headphones.

Thanks for any insight.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Feb 21 2008, 22:53
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 2716
Joined: 24-August 07
From: Silicon Valley
Member No.: 46454



I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, the headphone driver has a magnet in it already. Did you hear any change in the sound?

I suppose a very-strong magnet in direct-contact with the headphone's driver-magnet might cause some effect, but the magnetic field that the voice coil sits-in is very dense (it's a small gap) and it would take a very strong magnetic field to alter or disturb that existing field.

In order to permanently damage the headphone, you would have to de-magnetize (or over-magnetize?) the headphone's internal permanent-magnet. That's not an easy thing to do unless you are really trying.

A CRT monitor is a special case. The electrons inside the vacuum tube are easily deflected by the magnet... In fact, that's how the CRT works. A permanent magnet has no effect on most solid-state electronics. (An AC electromagnet is another matter... These will produce electromagnetic radiation at a frequency that can cause "interference" or noise.)

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Feb 21 2008, 22:55
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sackynut
post Feb 22 2008, 01:51
Post #3





Group: Members
Posts: 10
Joined: 3-August 07
Member No.: 45876



Cool thanks a bunch, I guess I wanted reassurance that I didnt waste $40, and also to learn a little bit more about this kind of stuff, I appreciate it.

And no, I didnt notice any drastic changes in sound, at least nothing I could pin down to the magnet incident, and nothing worth even calling a change, most likely just a different sound as I continued to burn in the headphones.

And also, the magnet used was a magnet the size of a nickel in width, and maybe 3 quarters in thickness, strong enough to hold a metal clip onto a refrigerator.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pdq
post Feb 22 2008, 03:12
Post #4





Group: Members
Posts: 3450
Joined: 1-September 05
From: SE Pennsylvania
Member No.: 24233



The kind of magnet you are describing is designed to attach to a metal surface through a few sheets of paper or some thin cardboard. Beyond that its field diminishes very rapidly. I doubt that it penetrated your headphone far enough to have any effect.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RD
post Feb 28 2008, 06:59
Post #5





Group: Members
Posts: 151
Joined: 29-September 01
Member No.: 31



What about leaving my headphones over night next to a 5.1 surround Teac speaker. The speaker is about 10 inches tall and 5 inches wide and 5 inches deep? If my bose triport headphones were an inch away from the back of the speaker should I worry about demagnetizing or sound alteration in my headphones?

This post has been edited by RD: Feb 28 2008, 07:00
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cabbagerat
post Feb 28 2008, 07:47
Post #6





Group: Members
Posts: 1018
Joined: 27-September 03
From: Cape Town
Member No.: 9042



QUOTE (RD @ Feb 27 2008, 21:59) *
What about leaving my headphones over night next to a 5.1 surround Teac speaker. The speaker is about 10 inches tall and 5 inches wide and 5 inches deep? If my bose triport headphones were an inch away from the back of the speaker should I worry about demagnetizing or sound alteration in my headphones?
No. Most surround systems have shielded speakers anyway, which means there is very little magnetic field. Anyway, at that range it's unlikely that there will be an effect.


--------------------
Simulate your radar: http://www.brooker.co.za/fers/
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RD
post Feb 28 2008, 08:18
Post #7





Group: Members
Posts: 151
Joined: 29-September 01
Member No.: 31



QUOTE (cabbagerat @ Feb 28 2008, 01:47) *
QUOTE (RD @ Feb 27 2008, 21:59) *

What about leaving my headphones over night next to a 5.1 surround Teac speaker. The speaker is about 10 inches tall and 5 inches wide and 5 inches deep? If my bose triport headphones were an inch away from the back of the speaker should I worry about demagnetizing or sound alteration in my headphones?
No. Most surround systems have shielded speakers anyway, which means there is very little magnetic field. Anyway, at that range it's unlikely that there will be an effect.



Thanks man!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kralj svemira
post Feb 28 2008, 09:57
Post #8





Group: Members
Posts: 10
Joined: 22-September 05
Member No.: 24629



QUOTE (sackynut @ Feb 22 2008, 01:51) *
Cool thanks a bunch, I guess I wanted reassurance that I didnt waste $40, and also to learn a little bit more about this kind of stuff, I appreciate it.

That's awful, PX100s are almost 100$ here crying.gif

This post has been edited by kralj svemira: Feb 28 2008, 09:58
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 15:47