IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vinyl Restoration Problem, How do you clean this up?
X-ray Doc
post Jan 22 2008, 22:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18602

I've been gradually transferring my record collection to CD using Adobe Audition 2.0. For most records I have been derumbling and declicking with good results. Occasionally I also use the Younglove decrackle technique. I've posted a short 32 bit, 44.1 KHz WAV file of an old Kiss song that got played too much. It has been derumbled, declicked and decrackled. Is there anyway to clean up the "distortion" you hear at the beginning and that's less noticible throughout? How would you even describe the undesireable sounds that are present? I'm still learning. Thanks.

http://home.comcast.net/~mrmatheson/Sample_WAV.wav
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Curtor
post Jan 23 2008, 00:48
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 15437

Everytime you apply a digital operation of some sort, you're distorting the original wave somehow. I'd settle down with the derumbling, declicking, decrackling, dewhatevering. While it might initially impress you to remove some clicks and pops, you may not realize just how badly it's damaging the sound. Your sample wave has some dreadful distortions in it... I can't say from what but it is pretty unpleasant.

I prefer to record in 44.1/32bit and then just do a single noise-reduction based on a noise profile obtained from the last break between songs on the record (where groove distortion is the greatest). That'll effectively remove rumble and background noise without obsessing over clicks and pops which you'll never be able to remove without taking some of the sound with them anyways. That's part of the character of vinyl though. If you want it click and popless then but the CD. After the noise reduction, do an RMS normalize then downsample to 16bit with a half decibel of noise-shaped dither and you'll be good smile.gif

As was said, cleaning the vinyl might help. Without knowing your setup, it's hard to say if that could be easily improved.

This post has been edited by Curtor: Jan 23 2008, 00:51
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 15:27