IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Creating a remaster DSP, Ideas to gain a better listening experience
odyssey
post Jan 18 2008, 09:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6695

I have an idea that might or might not work.

The problem is that a lot of old music (80's etc) are mastered with slightly less bass and treble than they would have been today. If it is possible to measure the amount of bass/treble used today and create a reference-point, it might be possible to create a EQ curve that should be applied to the old content to match it up with most modern records.

This EQ setting could easily be defined in tags, and applied by a EQ DSP during playback.

I think the algorithm for this would be much like the replaygain algorithm, just using multiple bands, but I have no technical knownledge to back this up. I would like to hear any positive thoughts on this: Would anyone benefit from this, is it a good idea at all, and how would it be possible to implement?

Edit: I did some editing of this initial post, since some tests showed that... VL are crap nonetheless tongue.gif Still I think this might work, and like your oppinions on it.

This is based on previous experiences I have from using a discontinued DSP called "VolumeLogic".

VolumeLogic is a multiband compressor/limiter that uses a special algorithm to "remaster" the music while playing. Now, many of you would probably not care or start a flamewar that such DSP's are fake, crap or just useless - Generally I share the same oppinion, but for once I actually think it made a pretty good job much of the time, although I think It's design was flawed.

This plugin is great especially on older songs that lacked bass and treble, while it didn't do much to most newer songs that were already well mastered. However, I dislike that it compresses the music, and also that this process is done on-the-fly, instead of statically on the entire song. Also it seems that this plugin introduces some sort of a saturation filter that gain a lot of noise on many tracks.

This post has been edited by odyssey: Jan 19 2008, 09:46

--------------------
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hushypushy
post Jan 19 2008, 10:31
Post #2

Member No.: 35237

QUOTE (odyssey @ Jan 18 2008, 01:05) *
The problem is that a lot of old music (80's etc) are mastered with slightly less bass and treble than they would have been today. If it is possible to measure the amount of bass/treble used today and create a reference-point, it might be possible to create a EQ curve that should be applied to the old content to match it up with most modern records.

Hmm, I think I'd be more interested in making new music, with its overcompression and the overused smiley-face EQ sound more like older, more naturally processed and EQ'd music. Well, different strokes for different folks, of course wink.gif
+Quote Post
odyssey
post May 20 2008, 12:15
Post #3

Member No.: 6695

Time to bump this thread, as it's still bugging me wink.gif

QUOTE (hushypushy @ Jan 19 2008, 10:31) *
QUOTE (odyssey @ Jan 18 2008, 01:05) *

Hmm, I think I'd be more interested in making new music, with its overcompression and the overused smiley-face EQ sound more like older, more naturally processed and EQ'd music. Well, different strokes for different folks, of course wink.gif

Actually my idea would also be able to do this. If you have a reference point that are flat (say non-smiley), it would revert the smiley-made music to a more flat norm.

I've done some test, by looking at the frequency response in Audition, and trying to equal it to the frequency response of another track (say a reference track) - just for fun cool.gif Of course it didn't turn out very good. The bass alone were significantly overboosted, compared to the amount I would have wanted.

Maybe I just didn't do it right, or is missing some kind of logic here.

Someone with remastering experience might have some knownlegde to if it's possible to do some analysis and automatically apply a proper EQ?

--------------------
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:40