IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Creating a remaster DSP, Ideas to gain a better listening experience
odyssey
post Jan 18 2008, 09:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6695

I have an idea that might or might not work.

The problem is that a lot of old music (80's etc) are mastered with slightly less bass and treble than they would have been today. If it is possible to measure the amount of bass/treble used today and create a reference-point, it might be possible to create a EQ curve that should be applied to the old content to match it up with most modern records.

This EQ setting could easily be defined in tags, and applied by a EQ DSP during playback.

I think the algorithm for this would be much like the replaygain algorithm, just using multiple bands, but I have no technical knownledge to back this up. I would like to hear any positive thoughts on this: Would anyone benefit from this, is it a good idea at all, and how would it be possible to implement?

Edit: I did some editing of this initial post, since some tests showed that... VL are crap nonetheless tongue.gif Still I think this might work, and like your oppinions on it.

This is based on previous experiences I have from using a discontinued DSP called "VolumeLogic".

VolumeLogic is a multiband compressor/limiter that uses a special algorithm to "remaster" the music while playing. Now, many of you would probably not care or start a flamewar that such DSP's are fake, crap or just useless - Generally I share the same oppinion, but for once I actually think it made a pretty good job much of the time, although I think It's design was flawed.

This plugin is great especially on older songs that lacked bass and treble, while it didn't do much to most newer songs that were already well mastered. However, I dislike that it compresses the music, and also that this process is done on-the-fly, instead of statically on the entire song. Also it seems that this plugin introduces some sort of a saturation filter that gain a lot of noise on many tracks.

This post has been edited by odyssey: Jan 19 2008, 09:46

--------------------
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Raiden
post May 20 2008, 15:55
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 17002

With Har-Bal you can analyse a track (in your case the "old" track) and match its frequency response to another track (the "new" one).

You could do that with some "reference" albums to get a general "80s-to-now" EQ filter.

Then the easiest way to use that filter in apps like foobar2000 is creating an impulse response with the EQ filter and use the impulse in the convolver.

This method is non-adaptive, of course.

example:

Underworld - 1996 - Second Toughest in the Infants
to
Underworld - 2007 - Oblivion with Bells

...gives this EQ filter, so Oblivion with Bells has more bass but less highs. This leads to this impulse (created with Sound Forge Acoustic Mirror), which can be used with foobar2000's convolver.

Do you have any "reference albums" in mind?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 03:48