IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

LAME + Dibrom's presets/switches + remarks
xmixahlx
post Jan 5 2002, 05:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 693

ok...i have read and read and read trying to learn the technical details of the "--alt-presets" but i still have some questions:

1. what are the current switches in each of the presets [i.e. extreme, standard, and their "fast" counterparts].

2. could someone explain what the non-obvious switches do for those that aren't involved in programming/developing LAME

i think it would be a good idea, and probably save some newbie questions [not unlike this post, *tears*] to sticky all the information conceivably possible in regards to the "--alt-presets" and why these switches are used. i don't desire "the history of the presets" just what they do in the current/recommended compile. also, differences in the "fast" and "non-fast" presets [i.e fast standard vs standard] would be GREATLY appreciated [why? because, well...they seem pretty much the same to me audibly]

3. and could somebody explain to me the reason for writing or not writing the Xing Header?

4. what is a good program for analysing mp3's [i.e. to see the differences between encoding switches and the quality they produce within the same sample] that is exhaustive...

5. can anyone REALLY hear a difference between a CD track and their LAME "alt preset standard/extreme" counterpart?

ok...now for some remarks

1. this forum is awesome, i am learning just a phenomenal amount of information in minutes/hours/etc. thanks for this resource and don't let the "powers that be" get you down...[i.e. the official developers of LAME]

2. if LAME is open-source, and their are quite alot of people creating compiles, why is there still an "official" version...why not just release versions like "3.90dm1.1" and "3.90mitiok1.1" etc...this would clear up alot of confusion/egos/etc. and allow those that use certain aspects of LAME [i.e. dibrom's presets in dibrom's compiles] for those that desire them without all this feminine, drama...[damn flaccid ninnies]

3. to dibrom [and other devs w/ PM]: don't let this opposition worry you. anyone who is even *slightly* knowledgeable in regards to encoding/LAME/mp3 would use this site as their primary resource for EVERYTHING [compiles/information/forum]...i am sure that the opposition derives from lowly emotions, "if you know what i mean"

4. in no way shape or form do i think that releasing 3.90.2 was in bad taste, disrespectful, unbecoming, etc. and all who think so have some sort of issues...as far as i am concerned compiles from this forum ARE the official versions and i use and inform others only of this site.

5. man, 700+ posts in a couple months...geesh Dibrom...why do i have such a comfortable feeling that this post will be responded to quickly...thanx, again...

i don't really expect a complete response to all of this...it was more to just post my questions/comments. but responses to the questions would be greatly appreciated

and just a side note, it sucks having to "un-learn" everything from r3mix.net...man does that guy has issues...he seems like some sort of deluded fool after coming to this site, oh well...

issues, issues, issues, issues, and more issues...geesh

[btw...i have been reading these forums for about a month now, but this is my first post and i just registered not too long ago...i hope my questions seem more than retarded...just slightly more...]

--------------------
RareWares/Debian :: http://www.rarewares.org/debian.html
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
xmixahlx
post Mar 11 2004, 23:10
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 693

citay, you make me laugh

omg...
this thread is 2+ years old

this brings back memories...

later

--------------------
RareWares/Debian :: http://www.rarewares.org/debian.html
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 00:06