IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Compare WAV files, Compare different WAV files of the same song
Edskes
post Oct 29 2007, 11:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48298

I want to compare different WAV files containing the same song, these WAV files come from different CDs from different record companies and the WAV files are almost, but not exactly, the same filesize.
If I use WinDiff from the Microsoft Support Tools that sometimes works, then I see that both files are the same except the beginning and the end or that they are totally different. Only the problem is that WinDiff hangs on a lot of files, so that it doesn't show results.

So now I'm looking for either a better working version of WinDiff or another compare tool with support for binary files, or another way to compare WAV files with each other.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Trancer
post Oct 29 2007, 11:51
Post #2

Member No.: 47419

QUOTE (Edskes @ Oct 29 2007, 11:19) *
I want to compare different WAV files containing the same song, these WAV files come from different CDs from different record companies and the WAV files are almost, but not exactly, the same filesize.
If I use WinDiff from the Microsoft Support Tools that sometimes works, then I see that both files are the same except the beginning and the end or that they are totally different. Only the problem is that WinDiff hangs on a lot of files, so that it doesn't show results.

So now I'm looking for either a better working version of WinDiff or another compare tool with support for binary files, or another way to compare WAV files with each other.

Using some HASH-utility (no not for in your pipe) like "MD5Summer" http://www.md5summer.org/download.html will tell you that the files are the same (bit for bit), it won't tell you though if there's 1 bit different (or that it's actually a different song ftm) when they are different. I don't know what your objective is, this is one approach...

This post has been edited by Trancer: Oct 29 2007, 11:51
+Quote Post
Edskes
post Oct 29 2007, 11:58
Post #3

Member No.: 48298

QUOTE (Trancer @ Oct 29 2007, 04:51) *
QUOTE (Edskes @ Oct 29 2007, 11:19) *

Using some HASH-utility (no not for in your pipe) like "MD5Summer" http://www.md5summer.org/download.html will tell you that the files are the same (bit for bit), it won't tell you though if there's 1 bit different (or that it's actually a different song ftm) when they are different. I don't know what your objective is, this is one approach...
Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't work since the WAV files I want to compare are not even the same filesize. I know the files are not exactly the same, but I want to know if the difference between the files is 1% or 99%. tongue.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 14:33