IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

why does pulling down volume slider not avoid clipping?, I thought entire processing was done in 32-bit
gasmann
post Oct 28 2007, 12:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23986

Hi!

I've found a (for me) unexpected behaviour in foobar2000 concerning the volume slider at the right bottom of the interface. If I take an mp3 that wasn't clipping, add +12dB constant gain to it via mp3gain and then play it in foobar (it doesn't have ReplayGain information, of course! If it would, clipping would be avoided as expected), it of course clips as hell. BUT, when I pull down volume to -15dB or so it is _STILL_ clipping!

Does that mean that this slider works on 16-bit or so?? That's absolutely not what I expected. I expected it to work the same way as ReplayGain, just "manually".

I would have never found out if I didn't do this. Before I often used this slider to attenuate radio stations in the hope it would eliminate clipping, but now that I know about THAT I am just shocked ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Using foobar2000 v.0.9.4.5 on Windows XP SP2. I hope this behaviour can be changed because it's potentially ruining sound quality.

--------------------
flac 1.2.1 -8 (archive) | aoTuVb5.7 -q 4 (pc, s1mp3)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
cristox
post Oct 28 2007, 12:46
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 43066

I think its like using preamp->poweramp...
replaygain is done in the preamp and volume regulation is done in the poweramp
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 15:31