IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Retrosic beats The Ogg - here's a piece of music where Vorbis, Transparency nearly achieved at quality level 10... but Lame outmatche
w-sky
post Sep 26 2007, 23:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25964

Hello people.

I know, many blind tests have been done, and many have determined that quality setting 6 is enough to achieve transparency. But I've found a piece of music where not even quality level 9 is sufficient.

Here is a test sample download (two clicks and a captcha code): http://rapidshare.com/files/58465886/Retrosic-cut.wav.html
A wave sample containing the last 20 seconds of Deathdealer by The Retrosic. This is ripped from CD.

The encoder versions I used: libVorbis 1.2.0 as well as aoTuVb5.

Encode this sample with Vorbis at any setting you like and compare. Vorbis creates some really distinct, almost rhythmic disturbances in this "atmospheric" synth sound. The strongest they are at seconds 12-14. Up to quality level 6 (216 kbps) the distortions are lucid, but in my tests, with headphones on and full concentration, even with quality=9 (328 kbps) it was always possible to identify the Vorbis version. It got tough at quality level 10, where my success rate dropped to ~80%.

But there I did arrive at a point where testing got surplus; first because the bitrate is so high that a lossy codec is inappropriate, and second because I got transparency for this little slice of music with MP3 at 202 kbps VBR (Lame 3.97 preset extreme, the only setting I tested).

What might be so special about these sounds? For the rest of the songs that I compared, I found quality 7 to be just perfect, and I was surprised when I came to the end of this song and noticed obvious distortions.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 01:22