IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

About APEv2 item keys and case-sensitivity.
Martin H
post Feb 15 2007, 17:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20365

If someone with the needed knowledge could please clarify a question for me, then i would appreciate it smile.gif

The following part about item keys(tag fields) in the APEv2 spec. i would really like to get explained :

# APE Tags Item Key are case sensitive.
# [...]
# And nevertheless Tag readers are recommended to be case insensitive.

I know that this means that tag readers are recommended to be case-insensitive, so that it won't matter what case we use for the tags, but i am currious about why this specific wording ? Why not then just state that the item keys are (recommended)case-insensitive ? What is the exact meaning about having item keys which are case-sensitive and then recommending tag readers to be case-insensitive ? What exactly is it then that is defined to be case-sensitive ? My guess is that it means that the case used when defining the tags is stored - Am i correct in this ? The defined item keys in the APEv2 spec. is nearly everyone in title-case(first letter in upper-case and rest in lower-case), and this is fine for Artist and Album etc. but for my EACLOG tag, which i would like to match the spec. but as it can't be Eaclog and as EACLOG dosen't really match it that good, then i'm in doubt of what to use... I have then just used eaclog.

This is maybe not terribly important to most people, but i'm very interessted in these small technical things about the formats i personally use, and i have been wondering about this alot smile.gif

Finally, i apologise if this is in the wrong forum, as i didn't really know which forum would be appropriate, but as WavPack uses APEv2 as it's native tagging format and as my question is related to WavPack APEv2 tagging, then i hope that it's okey to be posted here, or otherwise, then i ask a mod to kindly move it elsewhere, where he sees it to fit better smile.gif

This post has been edited by Martin H: Feb 15 2007, 17:48
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 04:50