IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
sorting artists with 'the' at beginning
hibby50
post Jul 6 2010, 17:16
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 82074

can this be done in the filter view as well?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoonie_B
post Jul 12 2010, 21:06
Post #27

Member No.: 81626

QUOTE (novembre @ Apr 5 2009, 20:38) *
QUOTE (Kohlrabi @ Apr 4 2009, 15:35) *
I had the same need, but I also wanted to have surnames in front of first names for sorting, e.g. "Dylan, Bob" instead of "Bob Dylan". My only solution so far is to use a ARTIST SORTNAME meta field (like proposed by musicbrainz, if I remember correctly). For "The" bands I can fill ARTIST SORTNAME easily with the swapprefix command.

That's impossible to achieve automatically, since FB2K doesn't see name and surname, but a series of words. It would be very simple if all your artists have one word for name and one word for surname, but that's not the totality of the possibilities.
But since this is the majority, you could set a script for this type of artists to fill ARTIST SORTNAME, and then manually fill the field for the remaining ones.

I'm new at this, but I believe you could also select all your tracks, go to Properties, select %artist% and right-click to Edit, CTRL-A to select all, and paste into Excel. This will create a one column display of all your artists. Then you can use Excel functions to create your LAST, FIRST protocol and when this is done for all artists and in one column, copy the column. Back in foobar, go back to Properties, add a field called ARTIST SORTNAME or whatever, right-click it and choose Automatically Fill Values. Select "Clipboard: Line Per Track" from "Source" and type in %ARTIST SORTNAME% in Pattern. As long as your selection for Properties is exactly the same as it was when you copied out the %artist% field, everything should match up. If something goes wrong, you could just remove or clear the field and try again.

I might give this a shot.
+Quote Post
3thereal
post Jul 14 2010, 16:20
Post #28

Member No.: 82271

QUOTE (hibby50 @ Jul 6 2010, 11:16) *
can this be done in the filter view as well?

That's the same reason I found this post. Anyone? The playlist view in columns UI already organizes things fine, but anything that starts with "The" gets sorted into the T's in filter view, which seems like a huge oversight. I can't see a way to modify how the filters sort, I just started trying out foobar2000 today.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:50