Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IEM and HRTF
gaillard
post Sep 28 2006, 18:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26232

Hey guys,

Ok heres my dillema, i hope you don't mind helping.

I am getting my HRTFs measured and therefor when i use them i need to use canal phones that have a frequency response that is flat at my ear drum, as this is where the hrtfs will be measured from. I noticed the etymotic er4b are designed from the er1's that are equalized to the "soundfield." there er2's are equalized to the ear canal. So why did they develope the er4b from the er1's if you want to use it for binaural recordings??

what does equalizing it to the soundfield mean anyway? Is this diffuse field equalizing? in this case isn't the headphone equalized to a random soundfilled room?

My second concern is this. because of highend loudspeakers frequency response, CD's have a high end frequency rise. the er4s etymotics compensate for that, do the er4b? and how am i going to find flat responding (at the ear drum) canalphones with that compensation?

Also, wouldn't all canalphones be equalized for flat since they are in the ear canal? except for the cd higher frequency compensation? Or is it that manufacturers choose to modify the sound a little to what people will like?

I think the er4s must be flat "at the ear drum" except for a little roll off for the cd compensation. This is what i want, so the er4b is the same without the cd compensation then right?

thanks for the help guys and sorry for my ramble but those are my thoughts.

ps. i would rather not equalize my hd650's as there is good chance of making it worse than flat due to the difficult to equalize spectral qualities, i've been told by the hrtf system designers.

This post has been edited by gaillard: Sep 28 2006, 21:45
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 20:08