IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MAD or mpg123 for Winamp, Input Plugin .. which one better?
edekba
post Dec 10 2002, 08:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1273

http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org

I was reading that website and saw that they reccomend Winamp 2.7+ or mpg123 as the mp3 decoder. However i believe it was from here or the other board that MAD was a better decoder? What's the deal actually?

the test does use older version of MAD 12.2 instead of 14.2 ....

Just want opinions I guess ... I mean i dont have the hardware to really tell the difference, just a TBSC connected to a z560 set. With Sony MDR-V6 for heaphone use, not really high end stuff, but i am just curious
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SometimesWarrior
post Dec 10 2002, 21:19
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 514

QUOTE (edekba @ Dec 9 2002 - 11:39 PM)
I kinda understand mp3gain ... and am thinkin about trying it but i do not knoe what and if i am gonna do.

mp3gain is the same as ReplayGain: it analyzes each MP3 and changes the volume so that all your MP3's play back at about the same loudness (it's more advanced than normalization).

I'm not sure if this is a correct description, but it makes a good analogy nonetheless: MP3's store their amplitude information as floating point numbers, multiplied by a constant. mp3Gain changes that constant, so none of the audio information is modified, but the output volume is changed.

The only reason I haven't used mp3gain is because, even though it's a lossless procedure (you can do it as many times as you want without quality degradation), unless you write down the gain adjustments made to every file, or you carefully log mp3gain, you won't be able to set the files back to their original volume after mp3gain-ing them. In contrast, Vorbis and MPC store their ReplayGain information in tags/header information, so you can decide whether or not to apply the gain simply by checking a switch in the playback program.

What does MAD's auto clipping attenuation do?  makes it so the sound doesnt clip when volume is high?
at least that what i get...

Yes, that's what MAD does. While playing back the MP3, if it detects clipping, it then lowers the gain that it will use for the rest of the song. So let's say you're playing back Metallica, and during a loud part the song goes over by, say, 0.8dB. Then MAD will lower the gain by 0.8dB for the rest of the song. If you're not listening carefully, you won't notice that your song got quieter, and in any case it's better than clipped output. But since you say you've had MAD since March, you've probably watched the MP3 properties window and seen MAD in action.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 17:57