IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Can get speex to work better than ogg for books. Why?
junglemike
post May 31 2006, 15:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30992

Hi', since speex decoder is available now for Palm OS also, I was wondering if I can get some good results for audio books . Currently I'm using 22khz around 20kbps (q -2 ) with ogg.
Whatever settings i tried (quality/ bitrate/complexity) - I can't bet speex to sound better ogg per same bitrate. This doesn't make any sence, because speex is supposed to be tuned specially for speach.
Moreover, it doesn't obey my commands, for example I wanted to force it to use bitrate of 10 kbps
--bitrate 10 --vbr --comp 6 o:\test\16khz.wav o:\out.spx

Instead, i get bitrate of arund 20, which sound much worse than ogg@20kbps. Why?
Can anybody help me?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
TheGrishnav
post Dec 5 2006, 00:37
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 38334

I've been doing voice encoding of radio traffic with ogg vorbis (-q -1) and speex for quite a while now. The speex files come out worse sounding and larger than the ogg's every single time.

Plus the speex encoder is hella unstable.

I blame the problems on the speex encoder's immaturity. Maybe I should see if there is a newer version out (I've just been using vorbis for the past several months... gave up on speex)

The sad part is that the agc and the denoising are _really_ helpful.

Nothing scientific, just a bit of anecdotal evidence that may be helpful. sad.gif

arecord -f S16_LE -r 16000 | oggenc -q -1 - -o "`date +"%F %Hhr %Mmn %Ssc %Z"`.ogg"
arecord -f S16_LE -r 16000 | speexenc -w --quality 6 --vbr --denoise --agc -V - "`date +"%F %Hhr %Mmn %Ssc %Z"`.spx"

This post has been edited by TheGrishnav: Dec 5 2006, 00:38
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 00:03