IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Can get speex to work better than ogg for books. Why?
junglemike
post May 31 2006, 15:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30992

Hi', since speex decoder is available now for Palm OS also, I was wondering if I can get some good results for audio books . Currently I'm using 22khz around 20kbps (q -2 ) with ogg.
Whatever settings i tried (quality/ bitrate/complexity) - I can't bet speex to sound better ogg per same bitrate. This doesn't make any sence, because speex is supposed to be tuned specially for speach.
Moreover, it doesn't obey my commands, for example I wanted to force it to use bitrate of 10 kbps
--bitrate 10 --vbr --comp 6 o:\test\16khz.wav o:\out.spx

Instead, i get bitrate of arund 20, which sound much worse than ogg@20kbps. Why?
Can anybody help me?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jmvalin
post Jun 1 2006, 00:58
Post #2

Xiph.org Speex developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 3134

QUOTE (junglemike @ Jun 1 2006, 00:46) *
Moreover, it doesn't obey my commands, for example I wanted to force it to use bitrate of 10 kbps
--bitrate 10 --vbr --comp 6 o:\test\16khz.wav o:\out.spx

Instead, i get bitrate of arund 20, which sound much worse than ogg@20kbps. Why?
Can anybody help me?

Are you sure you want to encode at 10 *bits* per seconds. Also, the option is --abr when you want to control the vbr rate, so using --bitrate 10000 will already work much better. Although I personaly recommend --vbr --quality X (with X around 6 maybe?) instead. Using 16 kHz, I *think* Speex should be better than Vorbis when you use bit-rate below ~32 kbps. Above that, Vorbis would probably be better.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 20:10