IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Apple Lossless in Windows Media Player
John Lockwood
post May 22 2006, 16:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31014

Is there software available to allow Windows Media Player to play Apple Lossless Audio Format files?

If so where do I get it. I get the impression FFDSHOW is supposed to support Apple Lossless but I cannot see how to get that to work in Windows Media Player.

Many thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mangix
post May 22 2006, 23:32
Post #2

Member No.: 28077

QUOTE (John Lockwood @ May 22 2006, 08:02) *
If so where do I get it. I get the impression FFDSHOW is supposed to support Apple Lossless but I cannot see how to get that to work in Windows Media Player.

why would something like ffdshow, which is open source, have support for a propietary format which is inferior to Open Source ones like FLAC?
+Quote Post
Nayru
post May 26 2006, 13:22
Post #3

Member No.: 25599

QUOTE (Mangix @ May 22 2006, 17:32) *
QUOTE (John Lockwood @ May 22 2006, 08:02) *

why would something like ffdshow, which is open source, have support for a propietary format which is inferior to Open Source ones like FLAC?

ffmpeg aims to support all formats (at least for decoding) including proprietary ones like Apple Lossless, WMA, and RealAudio. Why would someone want this? Well, suppose you have an Apple Lossless file and you want to encode it with FLAC. That'd be pretty difficult if you couldn't decode it...
+Quote Post
audiomars
post May 26 2006, 14:21
Post #4

Member No.: 24505

QUOTE (Nayru @ May 26 2006, 17:52) *
-----snip-----
Well, suppose you have an Apple Lossless file and you want to encode it with FLAC. That'd be pretty difficult if you couldn't decode it...
-----snip-----

You can always use dBpowerAMP Music Converter combined with its aac & Apple Lossless decoder for the task detailed above.

--------------------
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 02:15