Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rufu
post Apr 26 2006, 18:55
Post #77

Group: Members
Member No.: 8044

There appears to be 2 different encoders:
  • Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC) - used by NeroAACWrapper.exe in foobar, produces files that say encoding tool = Nero AAC Codec 4.2.9.11
  • Nero Digital Audio - only usable via Nero, encoding tool = Nero AAC codec / Apr 19 2006

Not sure if these are different methods for accessing the same underlying encoder, or if Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC) is still based on the old encoder.
+Quote Post
Ivan Dimkovic
post Apr 26 2006, 19:06
Post #78

Nero MPEG4 developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 8

New AAC encoder always outputs tool info as "Nero AAC Codec / __DATE__" - if the output is different, it is not encoded with the new encoder.
+Quote Post
Sebastian Mares
post Apr 26 2006, 19:58
Post #79

Member No.: 6613

Ivan, any idea why it doesn't work with fb2k?

--------------------
http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/
+Quote Post
rosshmusic
post Apr 26 2006, 20:05
Post #80

Member No.: 25196

could it be that foobar is pointed at the wrong version of the encoder on your system.... might be worth a try... wink.gif
+Quote Post
Sebastian Mares
post Apr 26 2006, 20:07
Post #81

Member No.: 6613

Any idea what registry key it is checking?

--------------------
http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/
+Quote Post
IgorC
post Apr 26 2006, 21:30
Post #82

Member No.: 18803

New AAC enocer is excelent . But there is no 48 kbit bitrate.
44 kbit/s and then jump directly to 50 kbit/s.
44 kbit/s PS+SBR f gives 51 kbit/s real bitrate (more than 50 kbit SBR).

Maybe it was done puprosely to choose on 48 kbit/s SBR or SBR+PS

Hopefully some issues will be fixed in upcoming "surprise" version.

What surprise it can be? If I would think about Spatial 5.1 but it would be too much to ask. There is already great HE-AAC stereo codec. smile.gif

This post has been edited by IgorC: Apr 26 2006, 21:53
+Quote Post
tcristy
post Apr 26 2006, 21:32
Post #83

Member No.: 12423

I have a problem with encoder versions as well...

I was using one of the beta encoders before. After installing the new Nero release, I now had both Nero Digital (HE-AAC) and Nero Digital listed as formats in the encode files dialog. Thinking this a problem, I uninstalled Nero, used the Nero clean tool to remove all directorys and registry entiries, rebooted, then installed Nero on what should have been a fresh install. No Nero Digital is not even in the encode files dialog or listed in the options as an audio plugin. The others (AIFF, OGG, MP3, etc) are there, only Nero Digital is missing.

Tim
+Quote Post
rufu
post Apr 26 2006, 21:41
Post #84

Member No.: 8044

QUOTE (tcristy @ Apr 26 2006, 12:32 PM) *
I have a problem with encoder versions as well...

I was using one of the beta encoders before. After installing the new Nero release, I now had both Nero Digital (HE-AAC) and Nero Digital listed as formats in the encode files dialog. Thinking this a problem, I uninstalled Nero, used the Nero clean tool to remove all directorys and registry entiries, rebooted, then installed Nero on what should have been a fresh install. No Nero Digital is not even in the encode files dialog or listed in the options as an audio plugin. The others (AIFF, OGG, MP3, etc) are there, only Nero Digital is missing.

Tim

I thought it was something along those lines. The next question is does doing this allow foobar to use the new encoder? My guess is no, and that there will have to be a new version of NeroAACWrapper.exe.
+Quote Post
captaingarrett
post Apr 26 2006, 22:51
Post #85

Member No.: 15424

QUOTE (rufu @ Apr 26 2006, 03:41 PM) *
I thought it was something along those lines. The next question is does doing this allow foobar to use the new encoder? My guess is no, and that there will have to be a new version of NeroAACWrapper.exe.

Just use Nero Frontends along with the necessary .dlls. In foobar's converter options you can specify a custom encoder with whatever commandline options you want.

foobar will always support new encoders as long as they can be run from the command line.
+Quote Post
guruboolez
post Apr 26 2006, 23:23
Post #86

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 420

nero_frontend is working with foobar2000.
Some difference though...

tool = Ahead AAC Encoder ver: "4,2,9,11". Command line frontend v0.79.065 by LoggerSoft 2005 (logger@mts-nn.ru).
bitrate = 128
samplerate = 44100
channels = 2
codec = AAC
encoding = lossy
codec_profile = LC
----------
1809408 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 666 678 bytes

tool = Nero AAC codec / Apr 19 2006
bitrate = 128
samplerate = 44100
channels = 2
codec = AAC
encoding = lossy
codec_profile = LC
----------
1809276 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 667 472 bytes

length isn't the same (bit-to-bit comparison doesn't work for that reason). On this sample, I achieve to get the same size for:
nero_frontend -cbr 128
officiel nero 133 kbps
But the encodings are different.

I would only use nero_frontend with caution. Several things have changed with the new encoder (for example, the gapless engine - hence the difference is length) and I'm not sure that the old frontend is suitable. Or does someone find a way to get identical results between the official GUI et nero_frontend?

This post has been edited by guruboolez: Apr 26 2006, 23:24
+Quote Post
Ivan Dimkovic
post Apr 26 2006, 23:54
Post #87

Nero MPEG4 developer

I would strongly advise against using third-party tools that fork somehow into the Nero AAC plug-in DLLs - because DLLs change very often as well as internal APIs, etc... .

We will release a solution in the next day or two that also caters to this problem perfectly and I hope it will be an universal solution - and it would be fully official and certified, too smile.gif
+Quote Post
Digga
post Apr 27 2006, 00:02
Post #88

Member No.: 7423

allright! bring on the standalone encoder smile.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)
+Quote Post
chrisgeleven
post Apr 27 2006, 00:51
Post #89

Member No.: 1771

You know, I would love a Nero AAC encoder for the Mac...

It would be pretty cool to encode true VBR AAC files smile.gif

--------------------
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB
+Quote Post
MuncherOfSpleens
post Apr 27 2006, 01:30
Post #90

Member No.: 25360

QUOTE (Digga @ Apr 26 2006, 07:02 PM) *
allright! bring on the standalone encoder smile.gif cool.gif

Are you going to celebrate your 1,000th post? tongue.gif

And yes, a standalone encoder would be nice, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Either way, I am eagerly awaiting this "solution." smile.gif
+Quote Post
Supacon
post Apr 27 2006, 01:43
Post #91

Member No.: 12841

I hear the complaints about Nero loud and clear. Back in the day (perhaps a couple years ago), Nero was far and away my favorite CD-Burning application... it seemed quite elite and suited to advanced users.

It seems that those days may have come to an end, with SmartStart and such things. The bloat is absolutely ridiculous, and there are so many features and accessories that I wouldn't even think about using. I used to automatically install Nero onto a computer of mine, but now I really have to think about it first. Sometimes I figure it's just not worth it, and use a slim tool.

The AAC codec interests me, even though in many applications it doesn't seem to be the most useful codec, but it's such a pain in the ass to download and install a big program like Nero just to do some tests with a codec.

I'm greatly looking forward to an independent or official command line AAC encoder that is reasonably priced (or free). It would sure make life easier when dealing with AAC, that's for damn sure!
+Quote Post
FinianLennon
post Apr 27 2006, 04:55
Post #92

Member No.: 30093

I've used Nero 6 on and off for the past year and got V7 2 weeks ago. Unlike V6, which had the annoying but reliable multiple install, V7 has a single file installer and, in my case, running the install was a horrible experience. Ultimately I had to manually uninstall all previous versions (the automatic uninstall failed every time) and jump through a variety of hoops to complete the install. It took about 5 hours to get up and running.

Then I found that there is a bug in the license module so that you can't enter the Nero/Lame unlimited mp3 license and then I discovered that the wav files created in the Nero Wave Editor can't be read by any other software that I currently own. Oh, not entirely true. The Windows Medial Player can play open/play the wav files but Real, WinAmp, Itunes, LP Ripper can't. The license problem is a known bug but tech support's response about the wav file issue was "How can this be?" I'm waiting for a response to the info I sent them yesterday.

It's entirely possible that my install problems caused the wav problem, but I'm in no hurry to open that can of worms again. The whole experience has been a big disappointment and symptomatic of the way so many software companies "improve/enhance" their products right off users' computers.

Finian
+Quote Post
yulyo!
post Apr 27 2006, 07:52
Post #93

Member No.: 24567

I am using Nero's software from...1998.
NEVER had ANY KIND of problem with install/uninstall.
Maybe those new versions are "a little" too big. But, my friends, as Garf said to me: you don't love it? Don't use it!
+Quote Post
reynald
post Apr 27 2006, 08:31
Post #94

Member No.: 30096

I just downloaded and installed the Nero 7 update. At the end of the long process, it said it couldn't find a certain file in the CAB and was rolling back the installation, and said I should try to update again later. But when it finished, I discovered it had completely uninstalled Nero 7 from my PC. I no longer have an app to update; it's all gone. WTF?
BTW, it's 3 months and counting since I sent in my competitive upgrade rebate form to Ahead. They say it's still in processing. I switched from Roxio for this? mad.gif
+Quote Post
seanyseansean
post Apr 27 2006, 09:56
Post #95

Member No.: 3029

QUOTE (William @ Apr 26 2006, 02:07 PM) *
So, please, everyone, please stop the blaming and criticism. Please remember that everyone here wants to help and benefit the whole community, and everyone gains from it.

And I thank you for that.

Eh? It's perfectly valid in a thread about a new version to question why 'bugs' and packaging issues are not resolved.

The devs have discussed the AAC issues, but have still avoided the packaging and SmartStart/Scout ones.

You know until this thread i'd completely forgotten how lightweight Nero used to be a few years ago. How times change, it's almost as if I married it biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Garf
post Apr 27 2006, 10:02
Post #96

Server Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (seanyseansean @ Apr 27 2006, 10:56 AM) *
The devs have discussed the AAC issues, but have still avoided the packaging and SmartStart/Scout ones.

Because this is an audio board, and the people who are posting here are the audio developers, perhaps?
+Quote Post
seanyseansean
post Apr 27 2006, 11:06
Post #97

QUOTE (Garf @ Apr 27 2006, 10:02 AM) *
QUOTE (seanyseansean @ Apr 27 2006, 10:56 AM) *

Because this is an audio board, and the people who are posting here are the audio developers, perhaps?

Fair enough but I thought at least one of you was involved in project management, and it's still on topic anyways.

Apologies if I seem combative on this - i'm not, i'm just frustrated with the app. As you're here, are there any chances of a cut down burner only version for us old skool lot?

Thanks

This post has been edited by seanyseansean: Apr 27 2006, 11:09
+Quote Post
Ivan Dimkovic
post Apr 27 2006, 11:14
Post #98

Nero MPEG4 developer

If that helps a bit - I do forward the opinions of people posted here to the responsible persons for overall PC-desktop strategy. I cannot give you more details unfortunately as my domain is audio (technology) and mobile (products) - so not really connected to the Burning that much wink.gif

But please be assured that your opinion is heard - of course, there are lots of things being taken into consideration in overall product and strategy planning - but user opinion matters a lot, so I am sure this subject will be reviewed.
+Quote Post
seanyseansean
post Apr 27 2006, 11:46
Post #99

QUOTE (Ivan Dimkovic @ Apr 27 2006, 11:14 AM) *

If that helps a bit - I do forward the opinions of people posted here to the responsible persons for overall PC-desktop strategy. I cannot give you more details unfortunately as my domain is audio (technology) and mobile (products) - so not really connected to the Burning that much wink.gif

But please be assured that your opinion is heard - of course, there are lots of things being taken into consideration in overall product and strategy planning - but user opinion matters a lot, so I am sure this subject will be reviewed.

Thank you, it's appreciated.
+Quote Post
kornchild2002
post Apr 27 2006, 12:28
Post #100

Member No.: 21277

Well, I don't mean to add to the negative comments but I am having a few issues:

1. When selecting the option to rip audio CD's to Nero Digital Audio, I get an error that the audio encoders aren't available and that the CD can't be stored. However, the option to save a CD to audio files works fine, I can even encode to AAC through this method without any problems. It is a little strange as I have completely removed Nero 7.2 (using Nero's cleaning tool) and re-installed it.

2. The files AAC files created, when using Nero's CD ripping service, don't play correctly in QuickTime 7. They sound muffled, a 160kbps VBR LC-AAC will sound like a 48kbps VBR LC-AAC. The files play fine in foobar2000 and iTunes but they don't play correctly in QuickTime.

3. (This is more of a complaint) I don't like the sliding quality control bar. I would rather be able to pick a preset and have a known quality instead of a known bitrate. Again, just a personal preference. The presets still work when using "Nero Frontends" (LoggerSoft) and EAC. When doing a bitrate comparison between the older version of Nero's AAC encoder (included with the last version of Nero 7) and the new AAC encoder, the bitrates were about the same when using the "streaming" preset (~160kbps VBR).

4. (This has to do with video encoding) Although the iPod AVC proile in Nero Recode 2 has been greatly updated (as it can now encode at resolutions different from 320X240), I am still experiencing pixelaation issues. If a scene changes too quickly or if numerous lights are flashing, the entire video will become pixelated (using iPod AVC profile at 768kbps 2-pass system). I do not have these issues with other mpeg-4 AVC encoders at the same settings.

Other than those 4 issues, I think the updates are welcome. I have been holding off on converting all my concert and music video DVD's for my iPod as I wanted to take advantage of the new Nero AAC encoder.

Hopefully, as others have speculated, we will get a stand alone encoder/jukebox that will enable us to rip CDs or encode audio files as well as managing a library (aka, Nero's iTunes). Thanks to the development team for continually updating Nero to include fixes for past problems while adding some new features.

I will do some of my own listening tests and will await others before deciding if I should switch digital audio formats.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 12:07