IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Do you use FLAC or WAVPACK?, Simple poll on two of the most popular lossless codecs
Do you use FLAC or WAVPACK?
Do you use FLAC or WAVPACK?
FLAC [ 325 ] ** [54.99%]
WAVPACK [ 222 ] ** [37.56%]
Neither, I use another losless codec [ 44 ] ** [7.45%]
Total Votes: 718

audiomars
post May 18 2006, 08:20
Post #126

Group: Members
Member No.: 24505

QUOTE (Synthetic Soul @ May 11 2006, 15:27) *
I hope you guys are all voting in the Which lossless audio codec do you use? thread also.

I'm very suprised that there are so few votes there compared to this thread. Maybe running both at the same time was a mistake.

Sure! Voted there too.

--------------------
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cinezone
post May 18 2006, 16:29
Post #127

Member No.: 30742

Hi, I'm new with wavpack and I wonder if it's possible to extract the cue sheet from a .wv as we do with FLAC (metaflac --export-cuesheet-to=FILE thefile.flac) or the only way is using foobar ?

Thx

This post has been edited by cinezone: May 18 2006, 16:30
+Quote Post
Synthetic Soul
post May 18 2006, 19:00
Post #128

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 16217

WVUNPACK.EXE or WAVPACK.EXE cannot do this, although I have seen discussion with David regarding the ability to automatically extract the cuesheet upon decoding. This would be double-ace for a self-extracting file IMHO.

My latest mod of Case's Tag will let you do this quite easily, e.g.:

TAG.EXE --tocuea myfile.wv

QUOTE (Tag.txt)
CODE
--tocue <scheme>  : output cuesheet tag to file, name generated from <scheme>
--tocuen <name>   : output cuesheet tag to file <name>
--tocuea          : output cuesheet tag to file, name generated from source

--------------------
I'm on a horse.
+Quote Post
weemies
post May 31 2006, 13:45
Post #129

Member No.: 24810

FLAC. Better name. Better file-extension.

But I don't use lossless much, because it's largely a waste of space. Ogg is my thing.
+Quote Post
Patsoe
post Jun 30 2006, 02:08
Post #130

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 4952

QUOTE (MojoTheDestroyer @ May 17 2006, 22:05) *
The best part of this codec isn't the speed or the compression, but the foresight of the developer. Every aspect of the codec is exceptionally well thought out. [..] FLAC properly places the emphasis on the simplicity and speed of the decoding. [...] The size difference with regard to WavPack is negligible, so I don't really vote based on this. [...] FLAC has the blessing of Xiph as well as some major players in the hardware and software industries.

Couldn't have said it better, but I can be more brief smile.gif
+Quote Post
arctic
post Jun 30 2006, 13:14
Post #131

Member No.: 30721

QUOTE (Patsoe @ Jun 29 2006, 19:08) *
QUOTE (MojoTheDestroyer @ May 17 2006, 22:05) *

The best part of this codec isn't the speed or the compression, but the foresight of the developer. Every aspect of the codec is exceptionally well thought out. [..] FLAC properly places the emphasis on the simplicity and speed of the decoding. [...] The size difference with regard to WavPack is negligible, so I don't really vote based on this. [...] FLAC has the blessing of Xiph as well as some major players in the hardware and software industries.

Couldn't have said it better, but I can be more brief smile.gif

*lol* A typical statement for a DAE guy ;D ;D ;D

Well, my 2 Cents:
Im also a convinced FLAC-user, it's fast and flexibel. Moreover, it enjoys a lively "scene" around this
codec making it imho to the codec with best future prognosis.
+Quote Post
Febs
post Jun 30 2006, 15:05
Post #132

Member No.: 22386

WavPack.

I started using lossless compression at just about the same time that Rockbox was ported to the iriver H100 series. WavPack was functional before FLAC in Rockbox, so I chose WavPack.

Since then, I simply haven't had any good reason to switch. Hardware compatibility is not really an issue. My portable players run Rockbox and I use Foobar on my PCs, so WavPack is available everywhere I need it to be. (Besides which, I use 3.97b2 -V5 --vbr-new most of the time for portable use, and WavPack is mostly for archiving.)
+Quote Post
hawkeye_p
post Jun 30 2006, 15:09
Post #133

Member No.: 16744

Accidentially mad a NULL vote.

I'm planning to move from OptimFrog to WavPack due to tag, speed and size considerations (Optimfrog needs too many CPU cycles and I have plenty of
space left)
+Quote Post
Stevie
post Jun 30 2006, 20:25
Post #134

Member No.: 19558

correct me if im wrong, but flac doesnt support higher bit depths and samplingrate.
as i use lossless audiocodecs for archiving my audio projects, i use wavpack, since it also supports 24 bit etc...

is flac still lacking those features?
+Quote Post
bryant
post Jun 30 2006, 20:48
Post #135

WavPack Developer

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 900

QUOTE (Stevie @ Jun 30 2006, 12:25) *
correct me if im wrong, but flac doesnt support higher bit depths and samplingrate.
as i use lossless audiocodecs for archiving my audio projects, i use wavpack, since it also supports 24 bit etc...

is flac still lacking those features?

FLAC supports 24-bit audio fine. My understanding is that the FLAC format also handles 32-bit ints, but the reference encoder does not implement it, and FLAC has no support for float data. WavPack handles all integer bitdepths up to 32-bit and also 32-bit floats.

Both codecs handle all sampling rates.
+Quote Post
sony666
post Jun 30 2006, 20:56
Post #136

Member No.: 1375

When i use lossless (rarely) it's FLAC.
Both developers seem to be cool, yet FLAC sounds cooler I think tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sony666: Jun 30 2006, 20:56
+Quote Post
Gow
post Jun 30 2006, 20:57
Post #137

Member No.: 31824

WavPack user.

Single File w/ embedded cue and eac log with -h

To me, WavPack is the perfect balance between the compression size of Monkey's Audio and the Decoding Speed of FLAC. Plus if I need another lossless type for playback in hardware...pop it into foobar2000 and convert. Done!

After all, we have all chosen lossless so that we are not stuck with ONE format. cool.gif

- Gow

--------------------
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice
+Quote Post
greynol
post Jun 30 2006, 21:07
Post #138

Member No.: 13167

Monkey's Audio 3.99 user (4.01b2 GUI) and batch files.

I liked what Gow had to say and decided to say that I happily broke from the pack and voted other!

I just wish it would store a checksum of the raw pcm data and support piping like flac.

--------------------
Placebophiles: put up or shut up!
+Quote Post
Triza
post Jun 30 2006, 21:20
Post #139

Member No.: 9867

Another great thing about FLAC is the --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless switch in the reference decoder. I use it all the time when I convert to lossy (Ogg Vorbis) so that I do not have to replaygain the lossy files. This is important for me because my HW player do not read the replaygain tags. If FLAC decoder did not have this I could work around that, but it is nice to have it.

Triza
+Quote Post
Stevie
post Jun 30 2006, 23:10
Post #140

@bryant

ah youre right, foobar doesnt put the highest bit depth to 32 per default. so i encoded at 16 all the time.
+Quote Post
beto
post Jul 1 2006, 01:12
Post #141

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 15173

QUOTE (Triza @ Jun 30 2006, 17:20) *
Another great thing about FLAC is the --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless switch in the reference decoder. I use it all the time when I convert to lossy (Ogg Vorbis) so that I do not have to replaygain the lossy files. This is important for me because my HW player do not read the replaygain tags. If FLAC decoder did not have this I could work around that, but it is nice to have it.

Triza

Foobar can do this as well when using the embedded converter for any supported codec. I use it all the time to encode my wavpacks to ogg vorbis. tongue.gif

--------------------
http://volutabro.blogspot.com
+Quote Post
Stevie
post Jul 1 2006, 08:27
Post #142

i just tried flac compared to wavpak and must say that wavpack has a slight better compression rate.
+Quote Post
Triza
post Jul 1 2006, 09:14
Post #143

Member No.: 9867

QUOTE (beto @ Jun 30 2006, 16:12) *
QUOTE (Triza @ Jun 30 2006, 17:20) *

Triza

Foobar can do this as well when using the embedded converter for any supported codec. I use it all the time to encode my wavpacks to ogg vorbis. tongue.gif

OK, but I only use Foobar only for playing on my media PC. The main rig is Linux and I do convert with scripts.

Triza
+Quote Post
Synthetic Soul
post Jul 1 2006, 09:33
Post #144

QUOTE (greynol @ Jun 30 2006, 21:07) *

I just wish it would store a checksum of the raw pcm data and support piping like flac.
The version at shntool supports piping; I used it to convert my APE collection to WV. I'm not sure if it supports STDIN, but definately STDOUT. I think it will do both.

--------------------
I'm on a horse.
+Quote Post
windmiller
post Jul 1 2006, 17:25
Post #145

Member No.: 12500

I use Flac because.....

1. Has Hardware Support
2. Is Actively Developed (Thanks Josh!)
3. Widespread Software Support
4. So I can wear my FLAC shirt without being a liar!

--------------------
www.losslessaudioblog.com
+Quote Post
jgarra
post Jul 1 2006, 17:39
Post #146

Member No.: 25910

laugh.gif

I use Monkey's. It compresses better than either. I don't care about how fast it seeks or its license, or any of that other stuff as I'm not an idealist, nor do I use it for anything besides archival purposes in ape+cue.
+Quote Post
greynol
post Jul 1 2006, 20:23
Post #147

Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (Synthetic Soul @ Jul 1 2006, 01:33) *
QUOTE (greynol @ Jun 30 2006, 21:07) *
The version at shntool supports piping; I used it to convert my APE collection to WV. I'm not sure if it supports STDIN, but definately STDOUT. I think it will do both.

Thanks Synthetic Soul.

I've used the version that you mentioned; I just wish the developer would implement it himself.

--------------------
Placebophiles: put up or shut up!
+Quote Post
kanak
post Jul 8 2006, 18:47
Post #148

Member No.: 27052

WavPack because of its awesome hybrid mode. I'm currently ripping all my cds to the hybrid mode with 320 kbps lossy. i'm gonna burn all the correction files to a DVD-R in case i need to transcode to lossy or to burn an audio cd.

I tried FLAC too, i'm blown away by it's decompression speed (it was like 147 X) but WavPack has better compression speed. i'll be sticking with wavpack.
+Quote Post
Synthetic Soul
post Jul 8 2006, 19:25
Post #149

QUOTE (greynol @ Jul 1 2006, 20:23) *
I've used the version that you mentioned; I just wish the developer would implement it himself.
Ah, sorry; sucking eggs and all that. Yes. It seems stupid to not implement piping in the default encoder/decoder. One of the many reasons that I appreciate WavPack more.

--------------------
I'm on a horse.
+Quote Post
nyarlathotep
post Jul 9 2006, 15:49
Post #150

Member No.: 5943

QUOTE (bryant @ Apr 25 2006, 06:11) *
QUOTE (nyarlathotep @ Apr 24 2006, 02:31 PM) *

I use WavPack.
(Yes I like the red foobar2000 wv icon)

Unfortunately, I'm quite unhappy when I use Linux. There are few options then.
Basically I just dislike XMMS.
Quod Libet is a really nice piece of program but just refuses to play some of my wv files while other just play fine. Me being blind or something?

Quod Libet uses the gstreamer-wavpack plugin and there are some problems with earlier versions (like 0.8) of that. I don't know my way around Linux yet to know how to upgrade, but that's what you need to do (you might need an updated app also, I don't know). The problem was that WavPack "high" mode files crash the plugin. And, files before 4.0 will not work either, in case you have some of those. I have the same problem with Rhythmbox.

Hope this helps... smile.gif

I updated everything (Ubuntu, GStreamer and Quod Libet) in the last weeks and now everything works fine indeed. Now I'm a happy man using Linux AND WavPack.

You're a great guy bryant. wink.gif
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 14:11