IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Realtek ALC850 kernel streaming?
Fryguy
post Apr 11 2006, 02:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25922

Has anyone gotten realtek alc850 (onboard sound on lots of athlon64 nforce3/4 boards) working with foobar? I'm using digital output to a receiver, so I dont' really have any reason to spend the money on the soundcard since it's just passing a digital stream and not really touching it, but I'd like to get kernel streaming working.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
david_dl
post Apr 19 2006, 05:30
Post #2

Member No.: 26461

Fine, it doesn't sound any different. But it DOES change the data, ever so slightly, and for PCM data, that isn't a problem. HOWEVER, AFAIK some surround encodings (ie. DTS/AC3) work by sending non PCM data through the system to the digital output, where a receiver can correctly interpret it as compressed surround sound. Because it is not PCM data, and kmixer cannot know that, the ever-so-slight modification it makes completely corrupts the data stream and prevents the whole thing working.
+Quote Post
TrNSZ
post Apr 19 2006, 06:03
Post #3

Group: Developer
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (david_dl @ Apr 19 2006, 12:30 AM) *
Fine, it doesn't sound any different. But it DOES change the data, ever so slightly, and for PCM data, that isn't a problem. HOWEVER, AFAIK some surround encodings (ie. DTS/AC3) work by sending non PCM data through the system to the digital output, where a receiver can correctly interpret it as compressed surround sound. Because it is not PCM data, and kmixer cannot know that, the ever-so-slight modification it makes completely corrupts the data stream and prevents the whole thing working.

You obviously did not read a single word I wrote, and if you did, you failed to comprehend the details. Either go back and actually read the thread before responding, or if you read it, read it again.

I made this case very clear already, but I should also stress that any differences in the output may or may not be the result of kmixer, and spreading blatant misinformation (that kmixer will change your output) does no one any good.

It may or may not change your output, depending on many factors, including the hardware and the drivers. Edit: I have personally witnessed DirectSound working to stream DTS to my external DAC. I've done it on many setups. I've seen it with waveout and with kernel streaming and ASIO too. The simple fact here is, that for a variety of reasons, KS is usually NOT the appropriate solution here and it's unsupported for a reason.

You could easily search and find threads from 2003 and earlier that discuss these things in depth.

At this point I give up.

I'm not going to sit around here and post the same things over and over again if no one is capable of reading or using the search function.

This post has been edited by TrNSZ: Apr 19 2006, 06:07
+Quote Post
chacallot
post Apr 19 2006, 21:38
Post #4

Member No.: 29730

You obviously did not read a single word I wrote, and if you did, you failed to comprehend the details. Either go back and actually read the thread before responding, or if you read it, read it again.

I made this case very clear already, but I should also stress that any differences in the output may or may not be the result of kmixer, and spreading blatant misinformation (that kmixer will change your output) does no one any good.

It may or may not change your output, depending on many factors, including the hardware and the drivers. Edit: I have personally witnessed DirectSound working to stream DTS to my external DAC. I've done it on many setups. I've seen it with waveout and with kernel streaming and ASIO too. The simple fact here is, that for a variety of reasons, KS is usually NOT the appropriate solution here and it's unsupported for a reason.

You could easily search and find threads from 2003 and earlier that discuss these things in depth.

At this point I give up.

I'm not going to sit around here and post the same things over and over again if no one is capable of reading or using the search function.

Yes, give up man.
You're really aggressive and never answered the question asked.

Some guys wants to try to use kernel streaming with his hardware. That was the question.
You have no idea why it doesnt work. And you just post your *sarcasm* and tell him that his problem is between him and his keyboard...

Your answers are not olny aggressive but also vague, useless... Bizarre... What's the point of :
Let's just say that if, when you listen to music you get annoying by the sound of your hair growing, or at a heavy metal show, the sound of the guy breathing next to you stops you from enjoying the show, then you might benefit from such nonsense.

Pretty useless info... But if what you like is reading your prose, enjoy...

Rgds,
Chacallot.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 08:00