IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules

Please read foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules before posting and comply with all the points.
Failure to provide all the information pointed out in the above document in your post is considered wasting other people's time and in extreme cases will lead to your topic getting locked without a reply.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Problem with EAC cue sheets, 0.9 RC (2006-03-11)
eTaurus
post Mar 15 2006, 16:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12449

Hi folks,
I tried to use a EAC- generated .cue sheet in 0.9 RC (2006-03-11). The funny thing is that foobar shows the tracks in the right order but plays the first file when selecting the first or the second entry, the second file when selecting the third entry and so on. The last file is not played at all.
I tried to find out what the problem is and found that editing the .cue sheet solves the problem.
This is the original EAC .cue sheet:

PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
TITLE "Once Upon A Summertime"
FILE "01 - Tidal Breeze.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Tidal Breeze"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Shifting Down"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 06:45:65
FILE "02 - Shifting Down.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "ESP"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 07:28:50
FILE "03 - ESP.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "The Song Is You"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 05:38:42
FILE "04 - The Song Is You.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Once Upon A Summertime (La Valse Des Lilas)"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 09:13:67
FILE "05 - Once Upon A Summertime (La Valse Des Lilas).mpc" WAVE

Please note that the FILE entry is found after the matching TRACK entry.
This is my edited .cue sheet:

PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
TITLE "Once Upon A Summertime"
FILE "01 - Tidal Breeze.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Tidal Breeze"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
FILE "02 - Shifting Down.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Shifting Down"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 06:45:65
FILE "03 - ESP.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "ESP"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 07:28:50
FILE "04 - The Song Is You.mpc" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "The Song Is You"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 05:38:42
FILE "05 - Once Upon A Summertime (La Valse Des Lilas).mpc" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Once Upon A Summertime (La Valse Des Lilas)"
PERFORMER "Chet Baker"
INDEX 00 09:13:67

Please note that I moved the FILE entries to a position directly above the matching TRACK entries which solved my problem.
But this cannot be the solution because it is time consuming and foobar 0.8.3 loaded the original EAC without problems. I think this is a bug (or different way of reading .cue sheets) in 0.9 RC. If it is not a bug, please let me know.

eTaurus
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Fandango
post Mar 24 2006, 04:24
Post #2

Member No.: 8353

Oh, I saw this coming... and I knew it would struck people (who never tested the 0.9 betas) by surprise when they suddenly are unable to play a good amount of their music collection after the transition to 0.9.

Don't expect the fb2k devs to re-add the "old" features, I gave up this hope a long time ago. It's a big "maybe". To me it felt 0.9 was a lot about "removing" stuff from the bare player and about rewriting code.

QUOTE (ElementDave)
Is there really such thing as a cue sheet standard?
I don't think so either... but oh well, foobar2000 is not my project.

QUOTE (ElementDave)
Background: I had about one-hundred albums encoded in Monkey's Audio with embedded cue sheets that failed to load properly following an upgrade to 0.9. The reason? There was no "FILE" field in the *embedded* cue sheets. I had omitted the field because it is superfluous in the context of an embedded cue sheet. There is no question as to which file is to be played.

Oh, that would piss me off... tongue.gif I said I like the new approach in a post before... but now I'm not so sure anymore.

QUOTE (ElementDave)
It would have been nice to have some warning of this change in behavior, but it's not something I'm losing sleep over, either. Don't mistake my comments for ingratitude. Foobar is an excellent application, the availability of which I sincerely appreciate.

Yeah, the thing is... I have no clue what will work and what will not work concerning cue sheets and foobar2000 0.9. I'm totally confused, and in fact I have to do a lot of tests on my own to see how foobar2000 0.9 will react to certain ways of tagging and so on... yes a little bit more info from the devs would've been nice. But at least I was warned before the final release because I did some tests on my own. Now I was able to adapt to the new situation a little bit, converted some non-compliant rips already (~100 still left)... doing new rips the right way (although I'm not 100% sure they will still work in fb2k 1.0)...

But hey, then I guess it's the community and people like me and you who have to tell others about how the new stuff works. It's been like this here at HA.org all the time, so why complain? New lossy encoders needs ABX testing, new audio players need beta testing... Who cares about after work free time spent on comparing cue sheets and wav files? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Fandango: Mar 24 2006, 04:42
+Quote Post
Martin H
post Mar 24 2006, 06:23
Post #3

Member No.: 20365

QUOTE (Fandango @ Mar 24 2006, 04:24 AM)
QUOTE (ElementDave)
Is there really such thing as a cue sheet standard?
I don't think so either...

The cuesheet format is invented by Jeff Arnold of GoldenHawk Technology for use with his DAO and CDRWIN apps, and then the format has later been adopted as an defacto standard by multiple other apps. The official cuesheet spec is therefore the CDRWIN help file - Appendix A.

The name comes from when burning in SAO writing mode, where a cue sheet describing the disc layout must be sent to the drive with the SEND CUE SHEET command before the writing starts. The drive then writes the disc and uses the cue sheet data to generate the P and Q subchannel data + to get the format and block size of the data transfered with the WRITE command.

This post has been edited by Martin H: Mar 24 2006, 06:40
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 06:48