IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Re-encoding MP3, Question...
Wizmac
post Mar 3 2006, 04:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28220

I know this is taboo - re-encoding a lossy format like mp3 produces lower quality.

I understand this - however, when I'm splitting mp3's made by albumwrap etc...some files will not split properly so I have to re-encode them. I know some of you will not agree with my method but it always works properly after I re-encode. This is on only 1 out of every 30 files I find. I would never under normal circumstances re-encode an MP3.

My question is this - If I have a 320 CBR MP3 song file and I re-encode with let's say Nero or Musicmatch's encoder...what is the best recommendation to encode at?

Should I encode at 320 CBR again? Should I try 256 CBR? Or should I encode to VBR MP3? Although it will lose some quality - thats ok...question is - what is the next best format? I have EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with LAME 3.97, It doesn't allow me to encode mp3 or I would use it or am I missing something. Any help on the subject is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dreamliner77
post Mar 3 2006, 07:30
Post #2

Member No.: 2427

You also might find some relief in encoding with a different format, for instance, mpc or ogg as it would add different artifacts instead of adding similar artifacts.

--------------------
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight." Neil Peart 'Resist'
+Quote Post
weaker
post Mar 8 2006, 01:12
Post #3

Member No.: 17360

You may also try mp3directcut (www.mpesch3.de) that splits mp3 without reencoding. You can split mp3-files according to cue-files with it.

Regards,
weaker
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 23:07