IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Closed TopicStart new topic
[OFFENSIVE] "mpc ist death"
xterm
post Oct 21 2002, 21:34
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3593

I got this link from elsewhere and dropped by to break the unfortunate news.

MPC is dead.

It has no future.

It will never be on any portables.

It is not mainstream.

There are less than 200 people who use MPC. Compare that to the MP3 and OGG userbases.

I have 3 MPC encoded albums @ mpc -xtreme, and put it to extensive tests with -ape mp3 and -q7 ogg files. Got 3 of my friends to sit down and listen to the tracks without revealing the format.

The results were more than expected. MPC didn't even score 30% out of all other formats. It's a waste of time. If you're going to Rage against the "Machine", then go with OGG. MPC is dead.

-xterm
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
niktheblak
post Oct 21 2002, 21:44
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 188

ROFLMAO laugh.gif
+Quote Post
CiTay
post Oct 21 2002, 21:48
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Don't make me laugh, man.
+Quote Post
Volcano
post Oct 21 2002, 21:54
Post #4

Member No.: 112

QUOTE (xterm @ Oct 21 2002 - 10:34 PM)
MPC is dead.

It has no future.

It is not mainstream.

There are less than 200 people who use MPC. Compare that to the MP3 and OGG userbases.

I have 3 MPC encoded albums @ mpc -xtreme, and put it to extensive tests with -ape mp3 and -q7 ogg files. Got 3 of my friends to sit down and listen to the tracks without revealing the format.

The results were more than expected. MPC didn't even score 30% out of all other formats. It's a waste of time. If you're going to Rage against the "Machine", then go with OGG. MPC is dead.

MPC will always be used by the audiophile community (which comprises of far more than 200 people, mind you).

And could you be more precise about your "test reults" please? What exactly did your friends have to guess - what format was being used or what?

Sure, for "normal" listening, Vorbis (-q 6) and LAME (--aps) pretty much do the trick, but if you're seeking guaranteed transparency at good bitrates (~170kbps), MPC is your only option. Also, it offers more of a safety margin for transcoding than the other formats do.

If you don't *need* portable support - why not use MPC? It's a wonderful format. (I somehow don't like the feeling I've had ever since I switched from MPC to Vorbis...) smile.gif

CU

Dominic
+Quote Post
Dibrom
post Oct 21 2002, 22:04
Post #5

Founder

Member No.: 1

Please don't feed the trolls...

And xterm, if you have something worthwhile to say, then do so.. otherwise you might want to take a look at the forum rules. First and last warning.

I'm not going to continue to tolerate trolling on this board. We've had too many flame wars lately, time to end that cycle.
+Quote Post
Jan S.
post Oct 21 2002, 22:10
Post #6

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Dibrom @ Oct 21 2002 - 11:04 PM)
Please don't feed the trolls...

And xterm, if you have something worthwhile to say, then do so.. otherwise you might want to take a look at the forum rules.  First and last warning.

I'm not going to continue to tolerate trolling on this board.  We've had too many flame wars lately, time to end that cycle.

Finally I see the kind of approach to violations of the rules that I have been missing on this board.
+Quote Post
salpro
post Oct 21 2002, 22:54
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 2380

QUOTE (xterm @ Oct 21 2002 - 08:34 PM)

MPC is dead.

It has no future.

It is not mainstream.

-xterm

i live in north africa and mpc has crossed the sea to reach my continent
i am the 201st one to use it tongue.gif
fast, gapless, best highquality/size format
i only expect to have nero burn my audio cd using aps tags with cdtext (but this not a real problem)
+Quote Post
JohnV
post Oct 21 2002, 23:09
Post #8

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6

QUOTE (xterm @ Oct 21 2002 - 11:34 PM)

MPC is dead.

It has no future.

It is not mainstream.

-xterm

Please don't feed the troll..

Shortly for those who are new and might be confused:
- MPC is not dead, infact its development has been probably faster than any other codec covered here, and MPC SV8 (streamversion 8) is in development, so this trend continues.
- MPC certainly has a future, and it will only become brighter if it goes open source. MPC decoder already is open source.
- MPC will be at least playable in programmable PDA portables.
- MPC quality has been time and time again proven (using double blind listening testing) to be the highest at mid/high quality bitrates. MP3 and Ogg Vorbis are absolutely no match to MPC quality at mid/high bitrates.

xterm registered today and that was his first message & he provided no proofs to his claims whatso ever, so he's obviously a troll. Please don't continue this discussion anymore. Needless to say, by trolling xterm is breaking the rules of this board. Again: do not feed the troll.

--------------------
Juha Laaksonheimo
+Quote Post
Volcano
post Oct 22 2002, 00:59
Post #9

Member No.: 112

Errm... JohnV, Dibrom: I understand what you mean, and I know you aren't accusing me of "feeding the troll", but please let me say this just to be sure - I wasn't even remotely intending to start a flamewar or provoke xterm or anything like that. I was just trying to respond in a fairly sensible manner.

+Quote Post
atherean
post Oct 22 2002, 03:54
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Don't we already know from the old vqf forums that 'MPC IST DEATH!!!11' smile.gif
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 22:19