IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

NSTL WMA Pro listening test, MS claims test proves WMA Pro > HE-AAC
[JAZ]
post Jan 11 2006, 21:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2383

QUOTE (gameplaya15143 @ Jan 11 2006, 03:32 AM)
i think they are 'supposed' to represent a % quality.. but they are just high-to-low (or should it say low-to-lower... uh oh.. i better watch out for tos8)

Have you heard problems with a ~240Kbps VBR (Q98) wma 9.1 file to say it is low quality?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Woodinville
post Jan 12 2006, 01:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18957

QUOTE ([JAZ] @ Jan 11 2006, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (gameplaya15143 @ Jan 11 2006, 03:32 AM)

i think they are 'supposed' to represent a % quality.. but they are just high-to-low (or should it say low-to-lower... uh oh.. i better watch out for tos8)

Have you heard problems with a ~240Kbps VBR (Q98) wma 9.1 file to say it is low quality?

How about this new report (DBT and all) on WMA Pro quality?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...Comparison.aspx

--------------------
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston
+Quote Post
Gabriel
post Jan 14 2006, 13:29
Post #3

LAME developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 138

1) If I follow the test procedure, the Nero files will be 64kbps LC-AAC, not HE-AAC. In their very detailed description, they simply didn't enable HE-AAC in the settings dialog. You can easily verify this with Nero 7 (even the free demo version should work).

You mean that when selecting “Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC v2) (*.mp4)” only AAC-LC is used by default? If this is the case, you probably have a user interface design problem.
+Quote Post
Garf
post Jan 14 2006, 14:31
Post #4

Server Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Gabriel @ Jan 14 2006, 02:29 PM)
1) If I follow the test procedure, the Nero files will be 64kbps LC-AAC, not HE-AAC. In their very detailed description, they simply didn't enable HE-AAC in the settings dialog. You can easily verify this with Nero 7 (even the free demo version should work).

You mean that when selecting “Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC v2) (*.mp4)” only AAC-LC is used by default? If this is the case, you probably have a user interface design problem.

You select that "Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC)" out of a list of MP3Pro, TwinVQ, WMA, AIFF, WAV etc.

By default, it will encode to 128kbps LC-AAC after selecting that.

Selecting the CBR/Stereo - 64kbps [HE-AAC] preset works correctly.

You have to go inside the encoder settings, force it to 64kbps CBR, and ignore the explicit combobox that says "LC (Low Complexity) AAC", to get it to fail this way. And that is exactly what their description says they did.

PS. I do agree this part of the GUI could be done better, but it can only fail this way by tinkering with some "advanced" settings and ignoring others. I don't think removing the LC-AAC options is good, either.

This post has been edited by Garf: Jan 14 2006, 14:35
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 15:52