Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP, foo_dsp_dolbyhp
musicreo
post Sep 22 2010, 11:01
Post #201

Group: Members
Member No.: 84009

QUOTE (Yirkha @ Sep 21 2010, 20:47) *
QUOTE (musicreo @ Sep 20 2010, 11:58) *
A 6.1 dts File from a video DVD can be played with Dolby Headphone. But why can't be a 6.1 Wave File played with Dolby Headphone?
What differences in behavior are there? I don't have a 6.1 file to check.

Nevertheless, I know that the default format with biggest number of channels supported by the library is 5.1 (FL, C, FR, SL, SR, LFE). And anything else with greater number of channels will most probably use this format with mismatched input data and therefore result in random noise (or worse).

Playing a 6.1 wave file is not possible. In Power DVD you can't choose Dolby Headphone and in foobar Dolby Headphone have no effect.

With DTS 6.1 Dolby Headphone have no problems and it really seems that Dolby Headphone places the sound more behind you with the extra back center channel in some scenes, compared to the ac3 file. Maby it mixes the extra channel to the SL, and SR or somthing else?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yirkha
post Sep 22 2010, 11:26
Post #202

Group: FB2K Moderator
Member No.: 49158

OK, thanks.

First, now I see a relevant part in foo_dsp_dolbyhp's code - if there are any more channels than the 5.1 layout described above, it's turned off and a helpful message is logged to the console.

Second, the libdca library, which foo_input_dts for fb2k uses, doesn't really decode anything more than a 3 front + 2 rear + LFE. Or do you actually see 7 channels for example in the status bar when you play such a file?

I'm not even sure if the DTS codec we are talking about can encode more than 5.1 input signal. From reading random pages on the Internets, it seemed like only some industry-grade DTS-ES extensions can do that.

--------------------
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.
+Quote Post
musicreo
post Sep 22 2010, 14:47
Post #203

QUOTE (Yirkha @ Sep 22 2010, 11:26) *
OK, thanks.

First, now I see a relevant part in foo_dsp_dolbyhp's code - if there are any more channels than the 5.1 layout described above, it's turned off and a helpful message is logged to the console.

Second, the libdca library, which foo_input_dts for fb2k uses, doesn't really decode anything more than a 3 front + 2 rear + LFE. Or do you actually see 7 channels for example in the status bar when you play such a file?

I'm not even sure if the DTS codec we are talking about can encode more than 5.1 input signal. From reading random pages on the Internets, it seemed like only some industry-grade DTS-ES extensions can do that.

You're right. I looked at the DVD again. It is only the DTS-ES Matrix surround and therefore only 5.1 with the BC channel encoded from the BL and BR channel Only Powerd DVD shows it as 6.1 and so I thougt that there are 7 discrete Channels but there only 6 Channels.
+Quote Post
anvil
post Nov 6 2010, 00:34
Post #204

Member No.: 4284

Where can you find the newer version of dolbyhph.dll?

thanks in advance

anvil
+Quote Post
Qtax
post Nov 7 2010, 00:59
Post #205

Group: Developer
Member No.: 85218

Works great! A lot better and more realistic sound than SoudBlasters X-Fi CMSS-3D (Headphone).
Now I can enjoy my HD 650 even more. smile.gif

/Q/;
+Quote Post
musicreo
post Nov 7 2010, 19:03
Post #206

QUOTE (anvil @ Nov 6 2010, 00:34) *
Where can you find the newer version of dolbyhph.dll?

thanks in advance

anvil

What do you mean with the new version?

In Power DVD 8-10 the version 1.20.0.276 is included.
+Quote Post
anvil
post Nov 8 2010, 00:21
Post #207

Member No.: 4284

Strange,, thats what I thought. I just down loaded PowerDVD 10 and it is ver 1.10

thanks. any more thoughts here?

anvil..
+Quote Post
fieryflare
post Feb 7 2011, 22:32
Post #208

Member No.: 88002

I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I'm using Foobar version 1.1.2

How do you install it properly, I followed the Foobar FAQ and it seems to be installed but I can't find the plugin, where is it? What could be the problem?

Where can I find the settings window shown in this pic?: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...e:Dsp_dolby.PNG
+Quote Post
musicreo
post Feb 8 2011, 10:16
Post #209

QUOTE (fieryflare @ Feb 7 2011, 22:32) *
I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I'm using Foobar version 1.1.2

How do you install it properly, I followed the Foobar FAQ and it seems to be installed but I can't find the plugin, where is it? What could be the problem?

Where can I find the settings window shown in this pic?: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...e:Dsp_dolby.PNG

Preferences--Components--Install;or put the dll into the components directory.

Look at:Preferences-Playback-DSP-Manager-Available DSPs. There should be the Dolby Headphone Wrapper dsp.

To use the dolby headphone wrapper you must set the location of the dolbyhph.dll in the menu.
+Quote Post
Registereduser
post Mar 2 2011, 12:00
Post #210

Member No.: 87981

How do I configure the plugin exactly? In preferences there is no way to configure. Thanks blink.gif

Edit: HAHA nevermind smile.gif I figured it out. Thanks for the awesome plugin!

This post has been edited by Registereduser: Mar 2 2011, 12:06
+Quote Post
alp1509
post Mar 11 2011, 13:15
Post #211

Member No.: 88906

I got error message in the console: Error: [foo_dsp_dolbyhp] Selected DLL doesn't export required functions, check it's a real Dolby Headphone DLL or select another one. The status message in the DSP settings says also Invalid DLL; required functions missing. What I did wrong? Using latest versions of both foobar 1.1.5 and foo_dsp_dolbyhp 1.4.1
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Mar 11 2011, 17:13
Post #212

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

You also need DolbyHph.dll
+Quote Post
hechacker1
post Apr 11 2011, 05:55
Post #213

Member No.: 17982

Thank you for this awesome plugin.

It sounds almost exactly like my Xonar DX Dolby Headphone function, but this one is slightly less lively in DH2 mode. It's also much quieter without dynamic compression. I wonder if the Xonar card does dynamic compression automatically?

But overall the sound quality is very good, and sometimes preferable to the sound card's DH implementation.

It's nice to have this for sound cards that don't have this feature.
+Quote Post
tony_almeida
post Oct 13 2011, 09:33
Post #214

Member No.: 94325

Thank you @Hancoque
I am using your 2ch to 6ch plugin that you made in 2008 for dolby headphone wrapper.
It is the best way.

This post has been edited by tony_almeida: Oct 13 2011, 09:34
+Quote Post
Samurro
post Nov 7 2011, 11:25
Post #215

Member No.: 47532

One Question, I got the Asus Xonar DX with the implemented Dolby Headphone, which DSPs or what configuration do I need for foobar2k to get the optimal sound out of it? I guess I don't need this wrapper?
+Quote Post
musicreo
post Nov 7 2011, 14:14
Post #216

You can use the Dolby Prologic upmix of your Xonar card for Stereo music. When you want to use a upmix dsp in foobar like the Channel mixer you have to activate 6 Channel input in your Xonar audiocard or use asio or wasapi output in foobar.

I use the Xonar U1 with Dolby Headphone and this dsp for "optimal sound": Equalizer, Neural Upmix, Matrix Mixer -- Dolby Headphone.

+Quote Post
processor
post Mar 16 2013, 20:54
Post #217

Member No.: 107250

Hi, I just discovered that great plugin, and basically it works for me, but it has only minimal effect.

Contrary to most users (it seems), I do not want to upmix stereo sources. I would like to listen to real 5.1 recordings (i. e. AC3 files) with my AKG K-619 stereo headphones (connected to a SB X-Fi card).

Now, the plugin does work (with the 1.10 version of the DLL), but the effect is quite low. When I listen to a test file, the front parts seem to be 2 cm in front of my head and the rear parts seem to be 5 mm behind my head. With real music, it's impossible to distinct between front and back (as it is with real speakers).

Did I forget something, are my headphones not compatible, or is Dolby Headphone simply not better?
+Quote Post
musicreo
post Mar 30 2013, 15:23
Post #218

QUOTE (processor @ Mar 16 2013, 20:54) *
Hi, I just discovered that great plugin, and basically it works for me, but it has only minimal effect.

Contrary to most users (it seems), I do not want to upmix stereo sources. I would like to listen to real 5.1 recordings (i. e. AC3 files) with my AKG K-619 stereo headphones (connected to a SB X-Fi card).

Now, the plugin does work (with the 1.10 version of the DLL), but the effect is quite low. When I listen to a test file, the front parts seem to be 2 cm in front of my head and the rear parts seem to be 5 mm behind my head. With real music, it's impossible to distinct between front and back (as it is with real speakers).

Did I forget something, are my headphones not compatible, or is Dolby Headphone simply not better?

What music are you listening to? There a several 5.1 albums that are not so good and have a bad channel seperation (e.g. voice in all 5 channels instead of only center speaker)

The effect that the front seems to be very close to your head is a well known problem for binaural recordings. This is because the used HRTFs don't match perfectly to everyone and then it is hard to trick your brain when you see there is no speaker in front of you. But normaly the rear speakers sound pretty realsitic and 5.1 music should sound much better with DH.

+Quote Post
SoNic67
post Mar 31 2013, 02:52
Post #219

Member No.: 87877

QUOTE (processor @ Mar 16 2013, 14:54) *

No, you didn't miss nothing. There is no real substitute for listening real multichannel music in 5 speakers. I know that because I did try it a lot...
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 19:21