IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Wavpack compression ratio with mono music on CD
BoraBora
post Oct 13 2005, 22:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18179

First of all, I'd like to thank Bryant for this wonderful codec. I switched to Wavpack for my whole collection (2000+ CDs) since the 4.0 release and I never looked back. cool.gif The compression/speed ratio is a killer, and the ApeV2 tags don't hurt either. tongue.gif

However, while running some general tests on lessless codecs, I stumbled on some results that may be of interest. I happen to listen to a lot of old mono popular music on CD (so technically it's stereo, but you see what I mean) and I was surprised to see Flac -8 frequently outperforming Wavpack -h, which to my small knowledge never happens with stereo music. Something weird, too: sometimes, Wv -f outperforms by a very slight margin wv default. Here are some numbers:

* On 5 out of 10 CDs tested, Flac -8 outperforms Wv -h (actually, Flac -5 does too)

* The biggest gap is happening with a recent Presley remaster where Wv -h does 32,52% while Flac -8 does 28,09%.

* On 2 out of these 10 CDs, Wv -f outperforms by a slight margin Wv default, and on 1 of these CDs even Wv -h! (-f = 42,01%, -n = 42,76%, -h= 43,30%).

I uploaded an Excel sheet on my site with detailed results. If you have any questions, please let me know. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jetpower
post Oct 15 2005, 12:04
Post #2

Member No.: 24363

I love WavPack. If you have found a way to fix the mono compression error, please use it, even if it breaks older versions compatibility.

I disagree. I think if wavpack has an ambition to be mainstream format then first thing in mind is compatibility. MP3s are still so damn popular because they have best quality/smallest size?
Joe Average would only get pissed when a wv file he's got just won't play in his fav player. As a consequence he will try avoid "buggy/corrupt" wv files and'll stick to flac/ape for lossless.
In my opinion, sacrificing the 100% compatibility for wavpack to make a few percent size reduction in certain (rare) situations is a bad move.

This post has been edited by jetpower: Oct 15 2005, 12:05
+Quote Post
BoraBora
post Oct 15 2005, 17:37
Post #3

Member No.: 18179

QUOTE (jetpower @ Oct 15 2005, 01:04 PM)
In my opinion, sacrificing the 100% compatibility for wavpack to make a few percent size reduction in certain (rare) situations is a bad move.

I don't wish to take sides here, because I think it's Bryant's choice, but I wouldn't call these situations "rare". Sure, I ran my tests with only a 10 CD sample, which is not much, but half of them were concerned by this situation. If you consider how much mono music is still bought and heard today, be it blues, classical, jazz, or even pop/rock, it's definitely not a "rare" situation.

This post has been edited by BoraBora: Oct 15 2005, 17:37
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 06:37