IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cut & Paste flac from one hd to another hd, Paranoid question, I admit.
tom_vienna_at
post Sep 7 2005, 12:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2729

My 200 GB harddrive is full of flacs, and I want to cut & paste half of the flac-files to my second 150 GB harddrive... so to have some free space again on the 200 GB harddrive.

I would just cut & paste the files from one (internal) hd to the other (internal) other.

Here's where I am getting paranoid. Can the cut & paste do any harm to the files or alter them in any possible way? I don't think so, because after all - it is just digital bytes copied from one hd to the other.

Someone pls. confirm this, so I can overcome my paranoia.

Thank you,
Tom.

--------------------
Back off haters - strictly love we deal with.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
M
post Sep 7 2005, 13:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 830

Tom, you shouldn't have anything to worry about; a "cut and paste" is simply copying the binary information stored in each file to a new location. However, any time you are moving large amounts of data, there is always the possibility of something getting corrupted if your RAM is damaged, or if any of the physical sectors on your HD (either the source or destination) are damaged.

If you would like a little reassurance, the simplest method is to create an MD5 checksum for the files you will be moving. Then, rather than cut and paste, you could copy your files to the new location and leave the original files in place until you are able to verify those checksums against the newly copied files.

Hope this helps,
- M.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 23:18