IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Converting ID3 tags in FLACs to native FLAC tags, Help me convert ID3 to FLAC native!
Luna-Tick
post Aug 13 2005, 07:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23875

Hello all!

I wrote the vast majority of my CD collection to Flac and checked them with the Flac test (the -t option of Flac), they played fine and all seemed wonderful.

Sadly life is no longer roses and chocolates. Now as I come to rip the whole lot to Vorbis files, Oggenc is spewing an error that the files are 'not a supported format'. As the flacs which I have produced since moving to Ubuntu (with sound juicer) seem to work, I am starting to worry that all the files which I made from CDex are going to give me grief.

It seems that the FLAC files which were written by CDex are using ID3 tags while the ones which work are using the native FLAC tags. I get this impression from looking at the file info in programmes like XMMS.

It seems, looking at the files with Metaflac, that the files may also have the information in the files as well and if I delete the tags "metaflac --remove-all-tags" XMMS will still see all the information in the ID3 tags.

If I open the file with Easytag, it shows up as having a 'FLAC Vorbis tag' ; identical to that of the ones which work fine. This reenforces my guess that my files have both.

I have tried many programmes and am not getting very far. The closest that I came was to keep removing all, deleting and adding fields in Easytag; eventually the tag was replaced by a native FLAC tag and it then went through Oggenc without a problem. Obviously I can't do this for all the FLACs which I have.

Does anybody know of a script/programme which can (as a batch) convert FLAC ID3 tags into FLAC native tags? Or, if it is all that I need, a programme which strips off a FLAC ID3 tag?

Thanks all, it seems ridiculous to have to re-encode them all just because the tags are wrong.

This post has been edited by Luna-Tick: Aug 14 2005, 02:48
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Luna-Tick
post Aug 14 2005, 02:48
Post #2

Member No.: 23875

Thanks a lot, guys, you have been really useful smile.gif.

I was hoping that you could point me to a Linux / Ubuntu programme but, as I only have to do it once, I suppose I could switch between the two operating systems smile.gif. Please let me know if somebody finds something which would work on Linux, though!

I shall try your suggestions and let you know how I get on smile.gif.

Thanks again
+Quote Post
snookerdoodle
post Aug 14 2005, 04:31
Post #3

Member No.: 22035

QUOTE (Luna-Tick @ Aug 13 2005, 07:48 PM)
I was hoping that you could point me to a Linux / Ubuntu programme but, as I only have to do it once, I suppose I could switch between the two operating systems smile.gif. Please let me know if somebody finds something which would work on Linux, though!

You could *try* re-tagging a file with EasyTAG with the "Write ID3 files in FLAC files with FLAC tag unchecked. The little help thing says that ID3 tags will be stripped if this is not activated.

Mark
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 05:13