2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Plugin foo_dsp_src violates copyright
Kadavro
post Dec 12 2005, 06:47
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 23232

We're about to have a brand new law here on new year's day, making it illegal to download from the Internet anything that has been released "unlawfully", against copyright. From that date on I'll risk 2 years in prison if I download for example foo_dsp_src plugin. Since this could, at least in theory, happen with any plugin or component it's propably best if I switch back to Winamp and stay far away from open source components.
Well, it was nice as long as it lasted.

--------------------
Det är ni som e dom konstiga, det är jag som e normal
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iStormy
post Dec 12 2005, 08:49
Post #27

Member No.: 21293

[removed]

This post has been edited by iStormy: Apr 28 2009, 23:07
+Quote Post
Lyx
post Dec 12 2005, 12:57
Post #28

Member No.: 7609

QUOTE (Kadavro @ Dec 12 2005, 06:47 AM)
We're about to have a brand new law here on new year's day, making it illegal to download from the Internet anything that has been released "unlawfully", against copyright. From that date on I'll risk 2 years in prison if I download for example foo_dsp_src plugin. Since this could, at least in theory, happen with any plugin or component it's propably best if I switch back to Winamp and stay far away from open source components.
Well, it was nice as long as it lasted.

ROFLMAO - as a proper honest law-abiding citizen, please unplug your inet-connection IMMEDIATELLY - cause every application, every plugin, every website, every mail - may violate the licence and/or copyright of someone else, without you knowing it.

"Head like a hole."

- Lyx

This post has been edited by Lyx: Dec 12 2005, 13:12

--------------------
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.
+Quote Post
anza
post Dec 12 2005, 13:47
Post #29

Member No.: 4418

QUOTE (Lyx @ Dec 12 2005, 01:57 PM)
ROFLMAO - as a proper honest law-abiding citizen, please unplug your inet-connection IMMEDIATELLY - cause every application, every plugin, every website, every mail - may violate the licence and/or copyright of someone else, without you knowing it.

"Head like a hole."

- Lyx

You can probably guess what has been the topic of public debate here in Finland lately.. ph34r.gif Surely not the members of parliament who didn't listen to us voters telling them NOT to vote for the law. crying.gif

Now that's democracy.

This post has been edited by anza: Dec 12 2005, 13:47
+Quote Post
Lyx
post Dec 12 2005, 14:20
Post #30

Member No.: 7609

QUOTE (anza @ Dec 12 2005, 01:47 PM)
You can probably guess what has been the topic of public debate here in Finland lately.. :ph34r: Surely not the members of parliament who didn't listen to us voters telling them NOT to vote for the law. :cry:

Now that's democracy.

Well, since i doubt that there is any regular inet-user in finland who did never visit a website which had content(i'm NOT talking about files) which violated the copyright of someone else, every inet-user in finland is now a criminal - it's just a matter of who gets percecuted. For now, they will probably only target downloaders on filesharing networks - but over the course of time, they will also use the law for other cases... basically, punishing anyone who is a threat to a given lobby or the state... which is exactly what i suggested in another thread: once enough "illusionary" laws are in place and everyone is a criminal, there's no distinction between legal and illegal anymore - it's just punish, jail and destroy at will by those who have the most power in their hands.

- Lyx

--------------------
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.
+Quote Post
Sandman2012
post Dec 13 2005, 00:00
Post #31

Member No.: 13034

I was never interested in this plugin until there was controversy.

tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Kadavro
post Dec 13 2005, 15:39
Post #32

Member No.: 23232

QUOTE (Lyx @ Dec 12 2005, 01:57 PM)

Yep.. I see you understand what's the problem with this great law of ours. Too bad those jerks in parliament don't quite get it.

--------------------
Det är ni som e dom konstiga, det är jag som e normal
+Quote Post
ssamadhi97
post Dec 13 2005, 23:15
Post #33

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 1305

QUOTE (Kadavro @ Dec 12 2005, 06:47 AM)
Since this could, at least in theory, happen with any plugin or component it's propably best if I switch back to Winamp and stay far away from open source components.

Yeah, because Winamp doesn't have those issues. smile.gif

(Right.)

--------------------
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.
+Quote Post
m3ga
post Jun 6 2006, 09:41
Post #34

Member No.: 23796

QUOTE (m3ga @ Aug 9 2005, 23:40) *
I am now looking into the possibility of making a Secret Rabbit Code based resampler available
for foobar2000 users while maitaining my ability to to dual license the code and earn an income
from it.

Ok, it took me some time, but here it is:

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

Its compiled to work with version 9.1 of foobar2000.

Cheers,
Erik
+Quote Post
OCedHrt
post Jun 6 2006, 10:04
Post #35

Member No.: 11015

Couldn't we consider Foobar2000 to be the "operating system" under which the GPL'd plugin runs? smile.gif I mean, if I run Linux in a virtual machine on my WinXP, does that mean all the licenses have just been violated?
+Quote Post
TrNSZ
post Jun 6 2006, 13:53
Post #36

Group: Developer
Member No.: 20

Erik has been nice enough to provide his resampler for use in foobar2000.

It would make sense to be respectful of the authors wishes if you want to continue to use the software, rather than scheming to get around whatever legal restrictions may or may not exist.
+Quote Post
klez
post Jun 7 2006, 13:28
Post #37

Member No.: 28881

It would make sense to be respectful of the authors wishes if you want to continue to use the software, rather than scheming to get around whatever legal restrictions may or may not exist.

1000% Agree
+Quote Post
saivert
post Aug 6 2006, 12:21
Post #38

Member No.: 31801

The GPL license was made to protect free and open source code. That is it's only purpose.

I don't feel that any plugins for FooBar2000 threathens open source in general. That would be just stupid.

I don't even see any benefits of opening up the source code for FooBar2000. Sure it would be nice to have a peek at it (I'm chronically curious) but to turn it into an open source initiative is utterly useless especially if the only purpose of doing so would be to please the FSF and the GPL.

The first time I read a condensed version of the GPL and saw the passage (may I say that) about using GPL licensed code in non-GPL licensed code I knew there was a lot of trouble out there regarding this.

In short: Open source very nice, GPL not so nice.

--------------------
http://foobar2000.saivert.com - foobar2000 component repository
+Quote Post
Enig123
post Sep 18 2008, 15:34
Post #39

Member No.: 1749

Sorry to take this old thread up. I'm wondering if m3ga, the author of SRC can make a foobar2000 plugin based on the new version of code.

I checked the webpage of SRC roughly but failed to find an e-mail address. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Yirkha
post Sep 18 2008, 15:56
Post #40

Group: FB2K Moderator
Member No.: 49158

$ure.

--------------------
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 15:02