Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Euphonos Metadata Importer Test..., OS X Spotlight importer for audio codecs
Dibrom
post Jun 10 2005, 08:39
Post #1

Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've made an initial version of the spotlight importer for my upcoming audio player for OS X, which I mentioned earlier this week here.

Download the importer here.

So far, the importer is setup to recognize files of type:

- FLAC
- APE
- Musepack
- Ogg (as a container)
- OptimFROG
- Speex
- Wavpack

I could easily make it recognize others as well, these were just some I could think of at the moment. It will read id3v1, id3v2, apev2, and vorbis comments, as well as some internal format properties, to extract information about the files and add them to the spotlight metadata database. Note that I have only tested the importer on Ogg Vorbis and MPC files, so I'm not 100% certain the importer will grab the tags from the other file types even though it has the capability to do so.

Right now, I've only made it add metadata for the values that Apple already fills in for mp4 and mp3 files, but in later versions I will make the information set much more complete. The metadata that it currently imports is:

- bitrate
- channel count
- duration in seconds
- media type
- album
- tracknumber
- artist
- genre
- title
- codec type

It would be nice if I could get some people to help test and provide feedback. To use the importer, download the file, extract the importer, and copy it to the ~/Library/Spotlight directory. You may need to make the directory if it doesn't already exist. This will only add support for your current user so if you want it system wide, put it in /Library/Spotlight instead.

After this, to get the metadata to show up, you will need to reimport the files into the spotlight database (all files modified in the future will automatically be imported). To do this, you can either modify the file somehow (touch might do the trick), or you can use mdimport. To reimport a single file, just type "mdimport somefile" at the terminal. You can also have it check the entire file system for reimportation (best if you have tons of files you'd like to do this for) by typing "sudo mdimport /" at the terminal and typing in your password.

You can test to see if the metadata has been imported either by typing "mdls somefilename" at the terminal, or by making some sort of smart folder that filters via one of the metadata properties for audio files.

Although there should be no problems I can see with this importer, use it at your own risk smile.gif I suggest making a backup of files you are testing the import on if you are super paranoid.

Anyway, I will be releasing updates in the near future along with source code. Once this importer is more solid, it will serve as the foundation for Euphonos metadata reading.

Oh, one final thing, it would be nice if someone wanted to make OS X icons for the different file types so that the importer would actually show them up as something other than a blank document in Finder smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 18:23