Reply to this topicStart new topic
Free audio restoration software, Lookin for free denoiser
Bulian
post Apr 14 2005, 09:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17519

Hi, guys:
Do anyone of you kow about a good audio restoration software for free? I've got a lot of old tapes waiting for being cleaned up
Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cliveb
post Apr 14 2005, 10:27
Post #2

WaveRepair developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 15845

QUOTE (Bulian @ Apr 14 2005, 09:56 AM)
Hi, guys:
Do anyone of you kow about a good audio restoration software for free? I've got a lot of  old tapes waiting for being cleaned up
Thanks in advance

If these tapes were not recorded from vinyl records (ie. they don't have clicks, pops and crackle), and if they don't have any dropouts, then you might find Audacity has enough to get by with. It has a broadband noise removal feature and reasonably sophisticated EQ facilities that between them might help clean up tape problems.

If you need to restore impulse noises (eg. clicks/pops/dropouts), or if you want more sophisticated hiss reduction (eg. level-dependant low pass filtering), then I don't know of any free software that does this.

And finally, I'll just point out that the most important step in the transfer of tape is getting the azimuth, replay EQ and Dolby calibration set correctly on the playback deck. Start with the best possible analogue signal and the restoration task becomes much easier.
+Quote Post
zver
post Apr 14 2005, 14:20
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 7141

I dont think there is a good free alternative for your task,but you might try the waverepair which is good editor with real time features but its mostly aimed at records,still you might find it usefull with those big vulume metars.
If interested check out the profile of the guy who posted it before me,there was a great tutorial there too with many topics about restoration smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:02