IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Any integer lossless encoder to fit "iRockbox"?, A suitable lossless encoder for Rockbox?
Tang
post Feb 12 2005, 20:44
Post #1

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 11536

Hello,
As some may know the Rockbox iRiverport for iHP1xx is on his way thanks to LinusM releasing his precious "bootloader"...

Actually the team is concentrating his work on the AUDIO part... The great priority of course is decoding (especially MP3 even if a lot of audio codecs are in the TODOlist!)

Anyway the team have made some searchs for encoding part and they complaining they don't find much things that seems suitable for the iRiverport since they need INTEGER encoders that won't overdrive the iHP processor...

So i've asked on the HA "rockbox iRiverport" thread for LOSSY integer encoder with Open-source license of course (check HERE)...

As there is a lossless section i make this thread to ask the same thing but for an interger lossless open source encoder!

I will be very kind of you to put all information you know about such an encoder! smile.gif
Thanks,

Tanguy

This post has been edited by Tang: Feb 12 2005, 20:48
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
rjamorim
post Feb 12 2005, 23:01
Post #2

Rarewares admin

Group: Members
Member No.: 81

All lossless encoders use integer math only. They can't risk using floats and introduce rounding errors to the audio streams.

I believe WavPack would be an excellent choice, because it's a very fast encoder (not using any x86-only ASM tricks like Monkey's) and the lossy mode would be perfect for people wanting to encode smaller files (because of space constraints). No other high quality lossy codec is freely available in an integer-only implementation, AFAIK.

This post has been edited by rjamorim: Feb 12 2005, 23:07

--------------------
Get up-to-date binaries of Lame, AAC, Vorbis and much more at RareWares:
http://www.rarewares.org
+Quote Post
Tang
post Feb 12 2005, 23:14
Post #3

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 11536

QUOTE (rjamorim @ Feb 12 2005, 02:01 PM)
All lossless encoders use integer math only. They can't risk using floats and introduce rounding errors to the audio streams.

I believe WavPack would be an excellent choice, because it's a very fast encoder (not using any x86-only ASM tricks like Monkey's) and the lossy mode would be perfect for people wanting to encode smaller files (because of space constraints). No other high quality lossy codec is freely available in an integer-only implementation, AFAIK.
Thanks Roberto smile.gif
I'm gonna transmit this and your answer in the other thread to Rockbox...
+Quote Post
HotshotGG
post Feb 13 2005, 01:00
Post #4

Member No.: 1607

QUOTE (rjamorim @ Feb 12 2005, 02:01 PM)
No other high quality lossy codec is freely available in an integer-only implementation, AFAIK.

What does that make Tremor then? I thought LGPL was free too? are you just talking about it terms lossless/lossy hybrid?

This post has been edited by HotshotGG: Feb 13 2005, 01:02

--------------------
College student/IT Assistant
+Quote Post
rjamorim
post Feb 13 2005, 01:02
Post #5

Rarewares admin

Member No.: 81

QUOTE (HotshotGG @ Feb 12 2005, 10:00 PM)
What does that make Tremor then? I thought LGPL was free too? are you just talking about it terms lossless/lossy hybrid?

We are talking about encoders, sire smile.gif

--------------------
Get up-to-date binaries of Lame, AAC, Vorbis and much more at RareWares:
http://www.rarewares.org
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 02:53