IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
EAC run in the backgrn w/other programs or not?, Wondering if anyone has done this or not
viper69
post Nov 7 2004, 05:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4732

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I would assume that in using EAC, both in ripping tracks from a CD, and encoding them w/LAME I should not even use my computer at all to minimize the chance of any error's happening right?

I am curious if anyone has actually done the above but run programs in the background or surfed the Internet, and if so, what browser they were using.

I would like to hear people's feedback and/or results on this one.

I could not find any info. on this in the FAQs.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
5G iPod 60gig, White
Shure E2Cs
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gorgekko
post Nov 7 2004, 07:05
Post #2

Member No.: 15829

I actually am doing this right now. I have a 1Ghz Athlon with 256MB of memory and have been ripping in EAC and encoding MP3s while surfing the web with Firefox PR1.0. Right now I have 58 compression tasks left to do in LAME :-)

I notice my machine slows down while I'm ripping but when it's only encoding I see no slowing at all. When I'm not actively using my PC the CPU utilization jumps to 99 per cent under Windows XP Pro while encoding but it gives it up when I switch to an application/surf the web.

To date I've had no problems doing two things at once. That's not to say, of course, that leaving the machine along while ripping/encoding.
+Quote Post
dewey1973
post Nov 7 2004, 07:10
Post #3

Member No.: 5771

QUOTE (viper69 @ Nov 6 2004, 09:54 PM)
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I would assume that in using EAC, both in ripping tracks from a CD, and encoding them w/LAME I should not even use my computer at all to minimize the chance of any error's happening right?

I am curious if anyone has actually done the above but run programs in the background or surfed the Internet, and if so, what browser they were using.

I would like to hear people's feedback and/or results on this one.

I could not find any info. on this in the FAQs.

Thanks in advance.

I used to do this all the time. I actually ripped/encoded on my work PC while doing my job (email/surfing/IM/order entry system/CRM/etc.) I never noticed any problems with my ripped files. Obviously, my CPU performance went down but my job didn't require a lot of processing power.
+Quote Post
Cerbie
post Nov 7 2004, 07:41
Post #4

Member No.: 15682

I'm doing it right now. When the FLAC files are encoding, the PC is slightly bogged down, but nothing goes wrong, that I've heard anyway, with the end results.
Firefox, Thunderbird, two desktop shells, Prime95 (testing undervolt), FB2K, EAC, MAREO, FLAC/LAME, all living together quite happily.
+Quote Post
Jan S.
post Nov 7 2004, 13:00
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Short: no.
Multi-tasking might be an issue with normal burst mode rippers but it is not with EAC in secure mode.
+Quote Post
viper69
post Nov 7 2004, 20:32
Post #6

Member No.: 4732

Thanks a lot guys...that's very helpful information!!

--------------------
5G iPod 60gig, White
Shure E2Cs
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 15:52