Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC to MP3 Foobar settings? (Read 8511 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC to MP3 Foobar settings?

I have completed the first step to archive my CDs...  They are all in FLAC format now, on my PC drive.

Now, I want to have MP3 files for my iPod. 

People told me to use Foobar with LAME.  I have installed Foobar:  Have placed LAME.exe in the same directory as Foobar, and foo_clienc.dll in the component folder.  I think I'm ready to process (??)

The problem is, when I want to choose the bitrate, I don't see settings like 128kbps, 160kbps, 192kbps, etc...  (as I was used to see when I was using EAC+LAME) 

What I see, related to MP3 / LAME, is:

Commandline Encoder : LAME --alt-preset medium
Commandline Encoder : LAME --alt-preset standard
Commandline Encoder : LAME --alt-preset extreme
Commandline Encoder : LAME --alt-preset insane

I wanted to encode in MP3 192kbps.  I don't see that setting. 

Some people asked me (earlier on this forum) why I wanted to encode in 192kbps instead of 192kbps VBR...  I don't know.  The sound VS the file size at 192kbps => good for me.  But I don't know about the VBR...  Is the sound really better in 192kbps VBR?  If so, and the files would be about the same size as 192kbps, Let's go!!  How do I do it?  I don't see this setting!!!

I know there's a lot of information on this site about my questions, but I am getting confused with all (a lot of) the details...  I am very new at this, and I'm looking for very simple information.

Thanks again for helping me,

norton

Reply #2
List of recommended LAME settings

VBR
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236256"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I have read that already.

--alt-preset standard (~190 kbit/s, typical 180 ... 220)  ...Is that what people call 192kbps VBR ??

And, in that thread, there is so much more settings then I can see in the Foobar settings choices.

What about --alt-preset standard -Y (around 160 kbit/s) ??

Where is that setting?

Thanks for helping me!

Reply #3
And, in that thread, there is so much more settings then I can see in the Foobar settings choices.

What about --alt-preset standard -Y (around 160 kbit/s) ??

Where is that setting?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236259"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's an experimental switch for ignoring noise in sfb21. All you need to do is open a cmd window and type "lame.exe --longhelp", without quotes and you can find out what all the switches do. However, the --alt-presets are the only recommened settings because they tweak things not available with custom switches, so use them at your own risk.

Reply #4
Ok.

So if I want to encode in a safe way (with recommended settings) and having MP3s with the same quality (or higher, that I understood) as the 192kbps MP3s I already have (done with EAC+LAME in the past),

I should choose :  --alt-preset standard (~190 kbit/s, typical 180 ... 220)

Is that right?

Thanks,

norton

Reply #5
And by the way,

--alt-preset standard (~190 kbit/s, typical 180 ... 220)

Is that what people are calling  " 192kbps VBR "  ??

Thanks again!!

Reply #6
--alt-preset standard will give you mp3s that average somewhere between 180 and 210 in my experience on average and will most likely be transparent to you, i.e. indistinguishable from the original CD.  In my experience they are usually of higher quality than 192 kbps cbr as more difficult frames get more than 192 kbps.  That's not to say I could necessarily ABX either in all cases

I suppose APS would be called 192 kbps vbr though I don't really call it that in practise.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #7
VBR presets are based on quality, not bitrate.  --preset standard might average as low as 128 kbps on simple, completely mono recordings, or close to 300 kbps on extremely difficult samples.  Over a lot of files, it usually averages out to around 190, but there is no direct relationship between the quality setting and bitrate.

Reply #8
Thanks to norton for asking this question. And thanks to you others for bothering to answer. I too, am confused by all this stuff, and reading the threads only adds to my confusion. So Thank You for setting it out clearly.

Reply #9
Well..  Thanks everybody for your answers.  I'm now a little bit less confused.   

Seriously...  Very useful informations!...  Clearly!!  Everything looks pretty fine here (now).

Many thanks!!

- norton

Reply #10
VBR presets are based on quality, not bitrate.  --preset standard might average as low as 128 kbps on simple, completely mono recordings, or close to 300 kbps on extremely difficult samples.  Over a lot of files, it usually averages out to around 190, but there is no direct relationship between the quality setting and bitrate.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236277"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's what I've meant.  I've had APS files as low as 160 or so and as high as 250.  But a good mean is somewhere between 190 and 210.  Now if I'd said 192 abr then yes I would mean targeting a bitrate of 192.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #11
I have started to rip my FLAC files into MP3 using Foobar2000.  But, at the output, Foobar2000 have haded 001, 002, 003, etc...  At the beginning of each of my filenames. 

How can I disable that?  What are the settings? (Where?)

thanks,

norton

Reply #12
I have started to rip my FLAC files into MP3 using Foobar2000.  But, at the output, Foobar2000 have haded 001, 002, 003, etc...  At the beginning of each of my filenames. 

How can I disable that?  What are the settings? (Where?)

thanks,

norton
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236727"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Even I know this one:
Foobar/Preferences/Diskwriter  just use %_filename% to give you title.mp3
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

Reply #13
Thanks jrelmore!