Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question about batch processing
3mdk5
post Aug 11 2004, 21:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16202

Hi. This may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to the whole FLAC thing. I've been using it to decode files I d/l, but not to encode. Now I've done my research and am ready to switch from SHN to FLAC. HOWEVER, I wish to change the options that the standard front-end employs. I can get everything to work from the DOS command line, except the standard "*.wav". In other words, using flac -P 4096 -etc -etc *.wav does NOT work. Is there a way to use the command line (or change the output of the front-end) for a batch of files, without having to type in the name of each individual file?

Thanks for the help,

Matt
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
k.m.krebs
post Aug 11 2004, 21:35
Post #2

Member No.: 3145

Flac's CLI doesn't support wildcards at the moment. You'll have to rely on the old standby:
for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -etc %1

--------------------
k.m.krebs \ 833-45: http://833-45.net
+Quote Post
3mdk5
post Aug 11 2004, 23:25
Post #3

Member No.: 16202

Thanks for the help, it worked. Although, it changes the output names to all capitals. Any way to fix that?

Follow-up question:
The frontend creates a batch file in DOS to process the files that looks like this:

@echo off
C:
cd "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLAC"
win2dos go.bat
flac --delete-input-file -V -5 "F:\Audio Files\Filet01.wav"
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flac --delete-input-file -V -5 "F:\Audio Files\Filet02.wav"
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I create a similar file using the command line you suggested? [for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V -5 %1] I've tried many ways, but must be missing something. Or maybe I'm just tired...

Thanks again!
+Quote Post
Triza
post Aug 12 2004, 01:32
Post #4

Member No.: 9867

If I were you I would learn a better scripting language such as Perl or Python. This would give you a very powerful ally for a long time to manage your stuff.

I only use the former one but someone who is used to conceptually complete scripting solution when I tried to use cmd.exe I came across a lot of problems and I decided that it is not worth the time.

All IMHO

Triza
+Quote Post
rfarris
post Aug 12 2004, 23:27
Post #5

Member No.: 13771

QUOTE (Triza @ Aug 11 2004, 04:32 PM)
If I were you I would learn a better scripting language such as Perl or Python. This would give you a very powerful ally for a long time to manage your stuff.

I only use the former one but someone who is used to conceptually complete scripting solution when I tried to use cmd.exe I came across a lot of problems and I decided that it is not worth the time.

I'm working on a WSH (Windows Script Host) program to batch process with Flac.exe. It's kind of on the back burner right now, but when I get it done I'll be happy to share.

Incidently, WSH, which uses VBScript or JavaScript as it's programming language, is quite powerful on the Windows platform. It has native access to many, many system functions and if you already use VBScript or JavaScript in your work it is very easy to pick up.
----
Moderation: removed long off-topic signature.

This post has been edited by Jan S.: Aug 16 2004, 18:53

--------------------
------- Rick -------
--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 15:08