IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Custom FIR Filter Implementation, TOS #8 / trolling example
tkrieger
post Jul 20 2004, 20:51
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 15626

Is there a way to either alter the coefficients of an existing FIR filter or design a new FIR filter, which can be used to convolve with the raw CD data in real time?? I would be interested in trying a Lanczos filter, which works great with image files- I'm very curious to see if such implementation would also work with audio playback.

Responses are appreciated!!

Todd
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SebastianG
post Jul 20 2004, 22:35
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 12875

QUOTE (tkrieger @ Jul 20 2004, 11:51 AM)
Is there a way to either alter the coefficients of an existing FIR filter or design a new FIR filter, which can be used to convolve with the raw CD data in real time??  I would be interested in trying a Lanczos filter, which works great with image files- I'm very curious to see if such implementation would also work with audio playback.

Responses are appreciated!!

Todd

I'm pretty sure it can be done via Foobar2000 - get a CDDA reading plugin and the convolver plugin. The convolver plugin loads a certain impulse response (wave file) and uses it for convolution.

But...
What's your goal ?
Lanczos is AFAIK for interpolation / resampling.
It's probably less useful for audio.
Better do "sinc interpolation"

Funny thing: I'm currently working on a real-time-convolver in Java

bye,
Sebi

This post has been edited by SebastianG: Jul 20 2004, 22:38
+Quote Post
tkrieger
post Jul 21 2004, 05:38
Post #3

Group: Banned
Member No.: 15626

QUOTE (SebastianG @ Jul 20 2004, 02:35 PM)
I'm pretty sure it can be done via Foobar2000 - get a CDDA reading plugin and the convolver plugin. The convolver plugin loads a certain impulse response (wave file) and uses it for convolution.

But...
What's your goal ?
Lanczos is AFAIK for interpolation / resampling.
It's probably less useful for audio.
Better do "sinc interpolation"

Funny thing: I'm currently working on a real-time-convolver in Java

bye,
Sebi

I want to replace the classic "windowed sinc" function with the Lanczos3 function. It has characteristic like "sinc" except it has a faster build-up and decay. I think it would strike a happy medium between the classic "windowed sinc" (poor time response) and "filter less" implementations (excessive HF modulation). If Lanczos works with audio as it does with picture images, I think it would closest to restoring the digital signal to its "pre-digitized" state.

So I want to replace the "sinc interpolation" with the "Lanczos3 interpolation." And I'm pretty sure this is done by modifying the coefficients in the FIR filter. Either take a customizable "FIR filter" plug-in or change the coefficients in the existing FIR filter in source code with re-compile.
+Quote Post
Axon
post Jul 21 2004, 06:31
Post #4

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 10933

QUOTE (tkrieger @ Jul 20 2004, 08:38 PM)
I want to replace the classic "windowed sinc" function with the Lanczos3 function.  It has characteristic like "sinc" except it has a faster build-up and decay.  I think it would strike a happy medium between the classic "windowed sinc" (poor time response) and "filter less" implementations (excessive HF modulation).  If Lanczos works with audio as it does with picture images, I think it would closest to restoring the digital signal to its "pre-digitized" state.

So I want to replace the "sinc interpolation" with the "Lanczos3 interpolation."  And I'm pretty sure this is done by modifying the coefficients in the FIR filter.  Either take a customizable "FIR filter" plug-in or change the coefficients in the existing FIR filter in source code with re-compile.

I don't think you can't do this in foobar without either writing your own plugin or modifying somebody else's. What you are proposing to do is a lowpass filter operation, which makes no sense from a playback point of view unless the sample rate is increased as well - but you cannot use the built-in resampler, because it will, in effect, do the lowpass operation for you through its own filtering.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 06:40