IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Uses for wavpack's correction file?
Revision17
post Jul 13 2004, 15:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11828

I was looking at wavpack, and I saw the part about the correction file and thought "Wow that's the coolest thing since sliced bread!". However I thought about it a bit more, and I can't seem to think of a use for it. The only thing I could think of is not having to transcode if you want a smaller set of your song collection. Anyone have any other uses for hybrid mode?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
shadowking
post Jul 14 2004, 00:57
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 11664

The hybrids have more advantages than most realise. For one you can create lossless and lossy files at once. If you want you may keep the lossy on the hard drive and the correction file somewhere else for extra security without eating space.

Another compelling reason is lossless performance at half the bitrates. Many people struggle between choosing a perceptual lossy and true lossless so that they can have the best quality for listening and transcoding. Unfortunately the size gap is huge 190k vs. 870k. A hybrid lossy at around 400k is more attractive. Thats 1200 albums on a 200gb hdd, 30 albums on dvd, 5 on CD-R

Try to abx dualstream at Q5 - I don't think so. Try to transcode it to another lossy and spot the difference - very hard. Den mentioned this in another post and he has a big point.

The new wavpack is also higher in quality, maybe comparable to DS ?
I am seriously considering these hybrids. You can always use correction files for the ultimate security if required so there is no real risk.

--------------------
Wavpack -b450s0.7
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 22:33