IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How to prevent clipping without VorbisGain?
Killaruna
post Jul 8 2004, 22:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15181

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a possibility to prevent clipping in Ogg-files without using VorbisGain. If I understood it correctly, VorbisGain inserts tags into the file which have to be interpreted by the decoder, but since I want to play the music on my iRiver portable, that is not an option.
What I'm looking for is a simple solution to the problem like the one Mp3Gain offers for MP3 files. I don't know how much of an issue the clipping with Ogg really is, I just noticed that on some of my CDs the output on the iRiver is always pretty much on maximum, and if I encode these CDs with lame aps, I get a lot of clipping... Any ideas on this topic? Do I have to worry about my encoded files? And if yes, how can I fix that?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jan S.
post Jul 8 2004, 22:41
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

You can use wavegain before encoding:
http://rarewares.org/others.html

That is irreversable though.
I don't think there is any tool like mp3gain that modifies the file and is still reversible.

edit: reversable --> irreversable
+Quote Post
Killaruna
post Jul 8 2004, 23:01
Post #3

Member No.: 15181

OK, but I guess I can't know if the encoded file will have clipping or not, right? I.e. I'll have to chose a "save" volume (89dB?) and need good faith... And I suppose I'll need to write some batch file for doing all these things, or does EAC (or any other ripper program) offer a pre-processing commandline before the actual encoding?
+Quote Post
SebastianG
post Jul 10 2004, 21:30
Post #4

Group: Developer
Member No.: 12875

QUOTE (Jan S. @ Jul 8 2004, 01:41 PM)
I don't think there is any tool like mp3gain that modifies the file and is still reversible.

For those who want to know:

Technically it is possible (for floor1-encoded Vorbis files) but its granularity is worse and is much more complicated compared to MP3. For "current" Vorbis files the gain can be adjusted with a granularity of 2.2 dB (worst case: 6,6 dB). All floor curves have to be completely re-encoded with another offset. (Just changing the first 2 Y-values of the curve does not work in all cases)

bye,
Sebastian
+Quote Post
ChangFest
post Jul 11 2004, 18:22
Post #5

Member No.: 11743

For my DAP, I replaygain the files with album gain before I encode so each album is replaygained and at a similar volume level. This allows, 1.) You'll not introduce clipping to your converted Vorbis files, and 2.)all of your music on your DAP will be at a similar volume level and will not blast your ears from album to album. This is not reversible but for a portable solution I find it works the best. I use foobar2000 for all of the encoding and replaygaining processes as well.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 07:23