IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Question about --dm-presets
Chu
post Oct 28 2001, 16:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 367

Well, with hard drive prices finally firmly under $2 a gig, I think it's about time to rip my CD collection, because i'm getting sick of porting my binder around. I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I'm gonna end up using standard or xtreme presets, but have some questions.

#1: Can you give me an idea of exactly what the differences between standard and xtreme? I've done some sample rips, and the only tracks i've noticed a real difference on are "noisy" songs, especially some industrial stuff, but are there particular types of songs where the difference is much more acute?

#2: A lot of people have told me to investigate standard -Z if I don't mind the filesizes xtreme produces. What exactly does -Z do? I've looked at the docs and it's only listed as "expiremental."

#3: metal . . . hrmm . . . What exactly about this makes it better for metal then standard? Also, and I guess this ties in with that question, but how exactly are we defining metal? I imagine my Pantera cd's would firmly fall into this category, but would some more heavy guitar stuff like Siamese Dream fall under here too, or some of this "numetal" stuff like Staind?

#4: I've been looking around here and r3mix, and people have been mentioning that dibrom is about to update his standard presets. I am a patient soul, but what type of improvements are we talking about exactly?

In any case, thanks for the input.

-Chu

P.S: Excuse my poor spelling.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
JohnV
post Oct 29 2001, 00:40
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6

Originally posted by RD
However, I wonder if Dibrom's new noise measuring stuff is designed to work with noise shaping 1 or 2? or both? But maybe only optimally with one of the two models?

The whole point of the tweakings is that noise shaping 2 is used to keep the bitrate down with "normal music", but still achieve higher than noise shaping 1 quality with clips like fatboy. Also transient handling in general should be much better.

Dibrom's goal is to implement the tweakings also for vbr-mtrh (--r3mix uses vbr-mtrh), which means high encoding speed... One problem there at least was, is that vbr-mtrh doesn't have all the noise measurement methods vbr-old has. Also vbr-mtrh's noise measurement methods are technically implemented a bit differently than vbr-old's, so separate tweakings (or at least testings) must be done for both vbr-modes.

--------------------
Juha Laaksonheimo
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 02:36