IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

comparable bitrate
h41cyon
post Mar 21 2004, 01:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12880

Alright, I have ran into a brick wall trying to decide at what bitrate I should encode my files in AAC at.

Now I have encoded alot of audio in mp3 and I usually shoot for a file size around 180-200 kbps VBRmp3, I find that on average an mp3 encoded at 192 kbps is relatively transparant to me or atleast to the point were any artifacts that were created by encoding are unnoticeable.

Now if I were to encode some audio in AAC format and have the quaility of this AAC to be the same as a ~192kbps Mp3 file (on Average) what bitrate in AAC would I want to shoot for?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
askoff
post Mar 21 2004, 07:33
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4214

QUOTE (h41cyon @ Mar 20 2004, 09:16 PM)
Ok then a follow up question .... kinda.

Lets say you took an audio file and encoded it using LAME v.3.90.3 and --alt-preset standard which results in a nicely encoded mp3.

Now lets say you would like to encode the same thing using itunes AAC encoder instead. Which setting (ie 128kbps, 160kbps, 192kbps, 224kbps etc.) would be the closest in quality to that mp3 from above.  (and yes i know it would very from song to song, but all im asking for is a best guess from you guys if that would be possible)

thanks again!

<edit>and if you have an opinion about a setting on a different encoder I would like to hear it aswell</edit>

I would guess that 192kbps iTunes AAC is quite close to Lame APS quality on average.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 01:43