Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Other Dumbass Question
krsna77
post Oct 26 2001, 17:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

Ok, here goes.

Clipping, being a problem with MP3 decoding, would often require normalization beforehand to compensate. For me, determining the proper normalization amount was often a degree of guesswork.

Then, MP3Gain came out. Problem solved.

I was wondering, is there a quantified amount, or formula, that each codec tends to increase levels by, and... if so, what is that value for Ogg Vorbis (and MPC, while we're at it)?

Reason I ask - if I encode to ogg, I would like to know the proper safe-but-sane normalization level geared for ogg. If it's not easily quantifyable beforehand, then at least is there a good method to detect and measure clips in ogg samples, so I can calculate the proper normalization amount myself to eliminate clipping for those tracks?

While I'm on it, will OGG / MPC ever have ReplayGain functionality, or something similar?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Garf
post Oct 26 2001, 20:55
Post #2

Server Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

Originally posted by krsna77

I have a tendency to believe you, however, I can think of one specific example (Alice in Chains - Dirt), that does clip very terribly, with nasty distortion, in OGG and MP3, until I normalize at ~0.84 (for MP3 - tho I use this value for OGG, its threshold may in fact be higher). Then it sounds fine (of course, I think this album really is pushed to the very limits).

Can you make a sample available? I would like to look at it.

Know of any good apps that can count clipped samples, so I can visually compare with what my ears are telling me?...

Sound Forge and probably Cool Edit can do this.

--
GCP
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 23:28