IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

High End CD Players - Worth it?
Amadeus
post May 21 2002, 00:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1371

I am shopping for a new stereo system and since I really enjoy listening to music, I want this to be a good one.

Now, I came across some really expensive CD players (ie marantz) in the region of U$2000. Since my $100 DVD drive is capable of reading a CD fairly well (think of EAC in secure mode for ripping), I wonder how the high price tag can be justified. As far as I can figure it out, the only expensive bit left in a CD player is the D/A converter. Assuming I already have a fairly decent D/A in my computer....wouldn't I be better off using the PC for playing CDs?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
gdougherty
post Jun 14 2002, 18:32
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1299

Originally posted by Amadeus
Thank you all for the many replies on this topic so far.

Since the inital posting, I have spent my money on a Marantz CD Player (CD-17DAF), a Marantz Amplifier (Stereo, PM-17SA) and a pair of Yamaha NS-8HX speakers. It's certainly not up to the same level as some of the setups mentioned in this thread, but since I was quite impressed by the sound when I did my listening tests in the shop I figure it's alright. Right now, the only annoyance is indeed the noise from my computers as I am writing this reply. Ohh...and as for the cable: Since my cables are around 5m in length, I took your advice and bought some 'van den Hul M.C. D. 352 Hybrid (halogen free). They were expensive enough and matched the colour of my carpet biggrin.gif

Anyone thinks I got it wrong? Hope not...but comments (good + bad) welcome.

Marantz makes good stuff and while Yamaha isn't my first choice in speakers, if they sound good to you and you listened to them against a bunch of other speakers to find something that works for your budget and your ears, then congrats and enjoy. I love my B&W bookshelf speakers but I've also got them mated with a 00 Velodyne SPL series subwoofer so their weaker (~50Hz) low-end isn't an issue. Like I said though, if they sound good to you and they didn't break the bank, you got a good deal.
I understand that high end CD players have better error corrections built in. Since it is possible to rip a CD in secure mode, however, I wonder if there isn't a possibility to have a cd-player software performing the same task. As my rippings are done at a higher than 1x speed, this should be possible. 

Routing this data through a high end DAC (LynxTwo) and from there into an amplifier....shouldn't this do the trick?

First off, why bother playing a single CD off your PC? Use the HD as the storage it's meant to be. Get a second drive for just audio if you need to, but playing back stored audio ripped in secure mode with EAC is the best way to go IMO. Depending on the size of your library you could probably even compress losslessly, though I do all mine with Musepack. Assuming all your CD's rip with no errors, this route makes the error correction argument moot. Output with a good stable clocked DAC or digital connection and you're good to go. Hosa makes 50ft optical cables, I'm running a 30ft cable from my bedroom to the stereo room, and I use the X10 RF MP3 remote to control winamp playback. No noise, good sound, it works.

I understand the logic behing point A. There are so many cables along the wall, however, that I have no idea how to keep them apart. Do you think my speaker cables might be shielded enough? Or would it help to provide some extra shielding by running the power cables in a plastic cable channel?
As for point B I lack both, the instruments to measure voltage as the knowledge to fully understand the point ('If this voltage is aligned ... ??? '). Can you please further elaborate on this?

As a general rule, don't run power/speaker cable and interconnects right next to each other in parallel, keep your speaker cable away from the interconnects as much as possible and cross cables at right angles. My speaker cables are Synergistic Research Silver/Copper Alpha cables that actually have a foil shield which helps some in theory. Most "good" interconnects are going to be pretty heavily shielded so for the most part as long as you're not running things parrallel and taped together for 5m (ie, next to each other), you're going to be fine.
For power phase, basically if your plugs are all three prong grounded, or the wide and fat two prong pairs and running into the same wall outlet this is a non-issue.
I am amazed...wouldn't have the courage trying this myself, but good result! Anyone tried this with two 1800+ MPs ?

Umm.... Don't. It's very possible to get adequate quiet HSF's and with proper aiflow through the case using a few super quiet case fans and rounded cables as well as a spacious case, you can keep the 1800+'s temps down. Without a fan they'll cook themselves.

G
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Amadeus   High End CD Players - Worth it?   May 21 2002, 00:49
- - daniel   doh, this cd player is only good if you have match...   Jun 5 2002, 00:06
- - ben   What kind of soundcard do you have? My setup cons...   Jun 6 2002, 00:15
- - Amadeus   It's about where the D/A conversion takes place. I...   Jun 6 2002, 04:13
- - gdougherty   The only way that a Computer is going to sound rem...   Jun 6 2002, 05:48
- - gdougherty   Oh, as for the rest of your setup, I'm personally ...   Jun 6 2002, 06:02
- - JonPike   Lotta good points are getting made here.. it real...   Jun 6 2002, 11:14
- - Pio2001   WHat would be interesting is comparing PC playback...   Jun 6 2002, 12:10
- - KikeG   QUOTE Originally posted by gdougherty Don't skimp...   Jun 6 2002, 12:15
- - Annuka   QUOTE Originally posted by KikeG I'd say that t...   Jun 6 2002, 14:17
- - JonPike   QUOTE Originally posted by Pio2001 WHat would be ...   Jun 7 2002, 04:15
- - JonPike   Forgot to agree about the noisy PC being a problem...   Jun 7 2002, 04:18
- - silver_cpu   I've found that a combination of Winamp, the custo...   Jun 7 2002, 04:38
- - gdougherty   QUOTE Originally posted by Annuka Speaker cables...   Jun 7 2002, 08:12
- - Pio2001   For the best PC power supplies, go for Enermax. Th...   Jun 7 2002, 11:27
- - fewtch   Enermax, Antec, or (REALLY the best) -- PC Power ...   Jun 7 2002, 11:37
- - CiTay   QUOTE Originally posted by fewtch Enermax, Antec,...   Jun 7 2002, 14:12
- - Annuka   QUOTE Originally posted by JonPike Forgot to agre...   Jun 7 2002, 18:09
- - fewtch   QUOTE Originally posted by Annuka PS: Stay away f...   Jun 7 2002, 18:19
- - Annuka   QUOTE Originally posted by fewtch Uhhm, that's a...   Jun 7 2002, 18:24
- - Annuka   QUOTE Originally posted by gdougherty It seems t...   Jun 7 2002, 18:32
- - JensRex   QUOTE PS: Stay away from AMD CPUs if you want a si...   Jun 7 2002, 18:40
- - Annuka   I don't want to start an AMD vs. Intel war. If s...   Jun 7 2002, 18:49
- - JensRex   QUOTE I don't want to start an AMD vs. Intel war.O...   Jun 7 2002, 18:52
- - Pio2001   QUOTE Originally posted by Annuka If someone has ...   Jun 7 2002, 21:34
- - fewtch   QUOTE Originally posted by Pio2001 What about a...   Jun 7 2002, 22:26
- - Pio2001   I let it ran for several monthes like that. No pro...   Jun 8 2002, 00:41
- - CiTay   QUOTE Originally posted by Pio2001 I let it ran f...   Jun 8 2002, 00:57
- - Amadeus   Thank you all for the many replies on this topic s...   Jun 14 2002, 10:43
- - KikeG   Just one comment, the LynxTwo is indeed a (interna...   Jun 14 2002, 12:07
- - Pio2001   QUOTE Originally posted by Amadeus I understand ...   Jun 14 2002, 12:10
- - gdougherty   QUOTE Originally posted by Pio2001 connect the ...   Jun 14 2002, 18:05
- - gdougherty   QUOTE Originally posted by Amadeus Thank you all ...   Jun 14 2002, 18:32
- - Pio2001   QUOTE Originally posted by gdougherty Oh so sudde...   Jun 14 2002, 23:00
- - Annuka   QUOTE Originally posted by Amadeus Thank you all ...   Jun 14 2002, 23:15

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 13:15