IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audio CD's from mp3 and WAV sound different?
symbiont7
post Dec 28 2003, 21:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9627

Here's my dilema. I have created identical compilation audio CD's but they sound quite different depending on the source, mp3 vs. WAV.

The audio CD's created from mp3 files have a stronger base tone to them, so much so that I have to turn the base significantly down in my truck CD player. Let's say on a scale of -10 to 10 it would have to be set at -3 or -4 for the music not to be overrun by base tones.

The audio CD's created from the WAV files sound normal, and I can have the base tuned approximately the same as I have for radio stations and commercial CD's. Same scale, maybe a 2 or 3.

I'm talking identical songs here. Rip song X to WAV, save it, then convert to mp3 (recommended lame version, at alt preset standard). Then make two seperate audio CD's, one from the mp3, one from the WAV file.

I use EAC for all the ripping and burning, although the couple times I've burned with BAO it does the same thing.

Basically, I want to save space on my hard drives. I'd like to rip and only save the mp3's, then mix and burn audio CD's at my leisure. But not if they produce that horrible overdrive of base! I have other needs for the mp3 format, so I do not want to use another format, lossless or not.

I don't suppose my EQ settings on my soundcard could affect all this? I thought that was just for playback. I am by no means an audiophile though, so I may be making a stupid mistake somewhere! smile.gif

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for any help you may have.

sym7

This post has been edited by symbiont7: Dec 28 2003, 21:56
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 10:43