Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fhgaac (Read 2181 times) previous topic - next topic

fhgaac

Hi.

Due to the response to my question here a while back, I assumed it was okay to set the bit depth for fhgaacenc.exe (the version in the foobar2000 encoder pack) to 32 in the encoder configuration. So I did, and it's been fine, only today I was getting an error and realised a bit depth of 32 is fine for stereo audio, but not for multi-channel audio (at least not for 5.1ch).

Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005); please re-check parameters

Changing the bit depth to 24 fixes that, so it's no big deal, but I thought I'd report it.... just in case somebody cares......

While I'm here.....
The way I understand it the fdkaac encoder is ultimately 16 bit. A higher bit depth input is down-sampled to 16 bit internally. Is that correct?
If so, is there a reason why setting a bit depth of 16 for the fdk encoder configuration produces a slightly different result than a bit depth of 24 or 32? It's only a tiny, tiny difference in bitrate and nothing I'd be concerned about but I'm a tad curious as to why there'd be any difference. Is it a dithering thing?

Thanks a lot!

fhgaac

Reply #1
Thanks for the report. There was a buffer overflow bug in the encoder frontend and it was crashing behind the scenes.

I can't answer your FDK question but I found another bug while checking bitness behavior with FhG. An unfortunate integer overflow in the float conversion code has inverted all audio encoded as 32-bit. Fortunately the problem is inaudible.

Fixed fhgaacenc will be included in the next Free Encoder Pack and you can download it immediately here: [attachment=8196:fhgaacenc.zip]

fhgaac

Reply #2
Awesome! Thank you!