IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rip process - worth making disc image first?
johnlgalt
post Jan 15 2014, 19:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113919

OK, I am relatively new to ripping discs in a sane manner. Previously, I would find the easiest to use software to pop a disc in the drive and let it do its thing to make lossy tracks.

Now, I am much more worried about quality than I am anything else, b/c in the end, HD space is cheap, and I want to be able to recreate my discs without having to go out and buy them again if I am faced with another house fire as I was a while back.

I'm currently (as we speak) ripping my (moderately scratched) version of The Crystal Method's Tweekend disc. Now, here is where it gets interesting.

I have Daemon Tools Pro Advanced installed on my system, primarily b/c I bought it when it first became available and the lifetime license price was ridiculously low (actually, I have *2* licenses - the second license was like 8 Euros additional tongue.gif), and secondarily b/c it has 3 different types of drive emulations built in. I've got a single physical BD-RW (LG BH10LS30) and also a single emulated drive from DT - a SCSI emulated drive.

I used DT to make an .ISO of Tweekend first, which I then mounted in the DT virtual drive, and let EAC extract and encode. I verified the log file at http://eachelper.atwebpages.com/Analyze.php and it reported 100% verified, but in scanning the log, I see that the CTDB plugin section of the log shows two files, tracks 9 and 11, with issues compared to the CTDB - which makes sense, when making the ISO there were probably data missing from the scratched sections.

I'm now trying the CD directly, and EAC is indicating that it is going to take (currently) >10 hours to extract 0_o

So, I remember reading in another thread (and forgive me for not linking to it - but I have read literally hundreds of threads in the last week, for various reason....) that ISO is not a good image to make b/c it is not a 1:1 image of the disc. I realize that EAC is attempting to accomplish that with native error checking, but I *also* realize that DT is *also* supposed to make 1:1 images of discs (more for the fact that people want to archive game discs in order to preserve the original / make the install process much faster (magnetic is faster than optical, and SSDs are faster than both, so mounting an image in DT on an SSD will fly through an installation much faster than placing the disc in an optical drive, even modern ones).

By now my EAC is reporting over 15 hours for this one disc sad.gif

So, my question is: provided I can get decent 1:1 images in whichever format I can (I think in DT I have the options to make .ISO, .MDX, or .MDS/.MDF, or an APE audio image), would it be prudent on my part to make images of my remaining discs and then use EAC on the images mounted in DT to save a (potential) boatload of time?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AliceWonder
post Mar 23 2014, 01:06
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 101393

If you can't hear a flaw when listening to the tracks that don't match the online database, does it really matter?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 08:27