IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Comparing AAC files, How to extract and compare the raw AAC audio data?
gskluzacek
post Jan 7 2014, 00:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113838

I have many AAC music files on many different computers and hard drive... mostly from iTunes with m4a and m4p extensions and aside from the file names and meta data I'm looking for a way to determine if the AAC files are for the same song. BTW I've accumulated all the files on a Mac and would prefer to do the processing there, but I also have access to a PC as well.

My first thought was to take an MD5 hash of the files and compare them, but it turns out that differences in the metadata can cause the MD5 hash to differ between 2 copies of the same song. I also tried to delete all metadata (used AtomicParsley --metaEnema) and then compare the MD5 hashes, but other info stuffed into the AAC media container also causes different MD5 hashes.

So if I could somehow extract the raw AAC audio data from the file then write it to a temp file and take the MD5 has of that, it should allow me to detect identical files.

I've used a similar approach to compare JPEG files, but I can't seem to find a way to get at the raw AAC audio data.

Also looking to do the the same to compare MP3 files...

Thanks in Advanced
-Greg
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
marc2003
post Jan 8 2014, 00:14
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 19379

perhaps perfect tunes could do the job? i've not tried it myself but apparently it finds duplicates of lossless/lossy files so obviously it's not checking to see if they are bitperfect.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 22:31