IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recording of audio files on DVD, Moved from General Audio (TOS #6)
ggg
post Nov 25 2013, 12:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77908

Hello, ppl
I have a simple question

What is the best speed for recording of mp3, wave & other music file types on DVD-R discs ?
I mean the best speed in order to have the best quality of the recorded audio data.
Usually i record with 2x speed, but at the moment i have a bulk of DVD-R discs Verbatim, which minimum speed is 4x

Is it worth to record on 4x, will i have problems with the quality of the record ?

10x
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pdq
post Nov 25 2013, 13:54
Post #2

Member No.: 24233

There are programs that will test the quality of a CD or DVD in terms of number of correctable and uncorrectable errors. One that I used years ago was by Nero, but I've forgotten the name.

Burning slower does not necessarily improve the quality of the burn. You should test for yourself, or else go with whatever the disc manufacturer recommends.
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Nov 25 2013, 21:34
Post #3

Member No.: 46454

QUOTE (pdq @ Nov 25 2013, 04:54) *
There are programs that will test the quality of a CD or DVD in terms of number of correctable and uncorrectable errors. One that I used years ago was by Nero, but I've forgotten the name.
Nero DiscSpeed. (It's down at the bottom of the page with the FREE programs.) I test almost all of my burns with DiscSpeed, especially if the disc is for someone else.

It does some more advanced testing/reporting, but if the drive has to slow-down and re-read part of the disc, there is usually a glitch showing-up in the speed graph. So usually, I stop the testing as soon as the graph is drawn. There is a similar feature built-into ImgBurn.

The weakness of any kind of read/verify test is that it's only testing the disc on one drive. Sometimes you'll get an error/glitch on one drive and it will be OK on another.

I usually burn at "moderate" speeds, and lately I haven't had any trouble. I haven't done any "scientific" speed tests, so I don't know if things would be worse at higher speeds with my burners. When I have had trouble it's usually related to the media, and once I burn through the spindle of "bad" (unreliable) discs the problems go away. Once when about half the discs were bad or flakey, I threw away the remaing discs in the batch.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Nov 25 2013, 21:36
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 09:35