IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Direction..., New audio enthusiast looking for guidance.
Kahbrohn
post Sep 26 2013, 12:55
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 110419

Hi.

I am a 52 yo late 1960's, 1970's and early to mid 1980's rock fanatic. Have been working up to this point in my life to give my kids the best education possible and I am glad to say, "Mission Accomplished". Damn proud of my kids and what they are achieving in their lives now.

So, now that the kids are gone, Uncle Kah here is looking for his hobby and decided on my passion... music. Only problem is that I can basically say I have no high end equipment and even worse, not a clue where to start. That's why I am here. I am not looking to be silver spoon fed but if you tell me where the spoons that I need to use are, I'll take it from there. I want to explore the options available to me and tinker/tweak away. With this all said, I have decided to use my computer as my music station. It is equipped with a budget/mid level MSI Z77A-G45 (MS-7752) motherboard. I plugged in an Intel® i5-3570K CPU. Rounding out my rig (in audio terms), I installed my venerable SB Titanium Fatal1ty Pro soundcard.

Through a Lepai 2.1 amp, connected with RCA cables to my soundcard, I am listening to my music through a pair of Bose® 251 speakers I was not using.

My CD music has been converted to FLAC (level 5) and I have been using FooBar2000 along with FidelizerX.

Basically I'd like to know if I am on the right track to getting the most out of what I have available to me or if there is either something better out there for me to try or if there are possibly some "tweak" guides for me to follow. I will be searching a bit deeper but so far what I have come across is more in line with making large investments of money (which I know will give me the music I want). Not really what I am looking for. I want to understand all the "basics" of this hobby first before going out and buying the biggest and baddest equipment or software available.

I know audio is purely subjective. I understand that. I am looking at finding out what I need, with what I have, and how to best set up what's on hand to obtain the best possible sound. Once I achieve that, then it would be my time to start moving up.

Not sure if I am making sense but bottom line. I want to walk before I run.

Thanks in advance and "Support Your Local Audio Noob!"... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by db1989: Sep 27 2013, 19:10
Reason for edit: removing link to WoodeluderX
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
greynol
post Sep 26 2013, 19:47
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (Kahbrohn @ Sep 26 2013, 04:55) *
FidelizerX

Has this piece of red meat been overlooked by our courageous group of skeptics?

This post has been edited by greynol: Sep 26 2013, 20:47

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 17:29